Dealer said there's nothing wrong, what can I do?

Arkious

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought id ask a few questions to see what you guys think and what i could do.

I got my audi a3 last month (still within 30 days) from the dealership, and when i took it home up the motorway i noticed the brakes weren't working very well at high speed. I thought it may just be down to it sitting for a while and that it would sort it self out once the rust wears. I called up at the end of the week after i had a close call when someone pulled out in front of me and i crapped myself when i really struggled to stop with my foot through the floor on the brake pedal (the abs didn't kick in as i wasn't sliding or anything like that). Ive had to wait until then till now till they would take it into the work shop, but now they have called me and said their is nothing wrong and its been tested at various speeds.

When i took it in the brakes were still rusted/pitted
the brakes are better than they were then but only round the doors, slowing down from high speed still isn't very good at all.
i also asked about my passenger side window squealing as it goes up and down (just whilst it was in there or i wouldn't have bothered), but they have said their is no fault there.

What should i do? i know brakes aren't covered by warranty but as the car has been sold as OK from Audi, if their is an issue with them should they do the necessary to fix them?

thanks

Sale of Goods Act determines that a registered company must sell a product to be 'fit for purpose'. In other words, if they've sold you a car and not told you that the brakes have an issue, and it turns out that they do (and through no fault of your own), they are required to fix it free of charge.

Do you know somebody at a local garage? Or a friend who can look? Try and get another opinion, if you can get a fault diagnosed by your local garage, you can take the proof (unpaid invoice, jobsheet etc) to your dealership and get them to fix it. Albeit, they probably won't take it lightly, but you're in the driving seat - pardon the pun.

yeah that was my thoughts on the matter too, i mean i have a lovely new A3 estate courtesy car from them at the moment and they aint getting it back till mines fixed haha.

But the disks look terrible, wish i had taken a picture that i could put up for yous to see. like uneven wear, but i couldn't see that when i bought it as all 4 disks were rusted a bit from sitting. now if it was new discs/pads needed i wouldn't have minded putting them on but i thought it may have been ceased callipers which i wouldn't touch.

I think i might take a drive up later and see what they say, least that way i could show them.

yeah that was my thoughts on the matter too, i mean i have a lovely new A3 estate courtesy car from them at the moment and they aint getting it back till mines fixed haha.

But the disks look terrible, wish i had taken a picture that i could put up for yous to see. like uneven wear, but i couldn't see that when i bought it as all 4 disks were rusted a bit from sitting. now if it was new discs/pads needed i wouldn't have minded putting them on but i thought it may have been ceased callipers which i wouldn't touch.

I think i might take a drive up later and see what they say, least that way i could show them.

I would take it back mate if your within the 30 days return period. Then tell them if they fix it you will buy it again, after you make sure your happy and that's what you want to do.
I bought a pug 306 once and it was burning oil (1ltr in 150miles), granted the garage eventually fixed it with a rebuild but I was never happy with it after that and wished I had just returned it and bought another.

You also have 6 months to reject the car (new or used). Google "rejecting a car" for more details.

Got it solved :) thanks for the advice.

was just about to head up to start a war and they called to say they are replacing the discs and pads on the front and cleaning up the rear. And that they are changing the window regulator as it fell apart on removal.

Bluddy glad I took it in as that all sounds (inc labor) a heck of a lot money!

Glad you got a result :) before I bought my S5 from a dealer I saw in pics that the disks looked more than just rusty and it was the same in person. Then on test drive they were making a terrible noise and so on agreement of deposit I asked that they give the brakes some attention... Come pick up day it had brand new disks and pads all round, was pretty happy with that result!

let us know how it is when you get it back, but as already stated, 6 months is the timespan, not 30 days

6 months seems a long time, I thought it was only 30 days?

Took a few days to get it sorted but they everything is fixed and working much better (also look much better).

Amazes me how Audi dealers appear to want to fob off customers at the first sign of a problem. Glad you got it sorted.

There is no provision in the Sale of Goods act for a statutory "6 month rejection period". You must reject the goods within a "reasonable" time frame. After a "reasonable" amount of time has passed the goods are deemed to be accepted by the customer.

The word "reasonable" is purposefully vague because each and every attempt of rejection of goods needs to be determined on it's own merits. You cannot tell if you will be successful in a rejection until you were to go to court.