Number plate LEDs - Error Free?

razputin

Reaction score
Just installed some LEDs to my rear number plate. They are supposed to be Error Free but are unfortunately bringing up an error. They work fine with no error when mixed and matched with standard bulbs but not when both are fitted. Is there anything else to try or that I can do in VCDS to remove the error?

Ta.

I think the best way is to fit kafutec led lead and the genuine Audi led lights work error free then.

Cheers man. There are so many different opinions and options when I did a search, so just wanted to hear the latest :)

I bought some festoon led bulbs as someone said they were OK but mine throw a fault,I might change one as I have some spare to see if its a faulty one.

I purchased OEM ones on eBay.... Work flawlessly. You get what you pay for IMO.

OEM bulbs or was that for the whole light fitting?

OEM is all fine and well, but i'm pretty sure by the time i'd priced up the units, and the harnesses to run them etc - you were in the guts of 70 odd quid........ for number plate lights......... :faint:

These are the ones a lot of folk on here have gone for, myself included, and they get good error free reviews from everyone.

Audi A3 8P A4 S4 B6 8E RS4 B7 A6 C6 RS6 Q7 LED License Number Plate Light S Line | eBay

At less than half the price of OEM, its a no brainer for me!

Reactions: CHEZ
I got the ones above, and work a treat with no errors and look very oem!
However, these were insanely retina burning bright and would illuminate the whole road behind me lol!
I fixed this by choking the current to dim them to an acceptable level by soldering in a 150ohm resistor to the live feed on each unit!
40p to modify and look amazing now 👍

Try Hids-Uk on ebay, had mine from them for my B7, were in for over a year, and are now in another members motor - absolutely no errors

Some do need an inline resistor mine did quite easy to do just fiddly t8ups I think does one canbus free check him he's on here

Just to clarify my point here, mine came with additional ballast so car would not throw up an error!
These worked without errors with the ballast unplugged, which was great because they needed fixing in tailgate to stop them rattling about!
The main problem was brightness of these units, without the resistor i added soldered into the power feed, these were way, way, way too bright and looked very Chav!
Once i choked the current to just over 10v they looked a lot better!
And will last a lot longer too!
I will get some before and after pics up when i get to laptop

The seller on ebay just sent me another pair to try, just another set of festoons so will try those tomorrow. Those OEM ones look good but don't really want the rear of my car brighter than the front lol.

Cheers for all your help and info.

Tried 2 sets of different LEDS but all of them are bringing up errors and one pair burnt my fingers when remiving them. Any new recommendations or just get the OEM ones and save a lot of hassle?

Tried 2 sets of different LEDS but all of them are bringing up errors and one pair burnt my fingers when remiving them. Any new recommendations or just get the OEM ones and save a lot of hassle?

ok, so,
when i first got them ebay jobbies supplied with ballast to avoid errors, they looked like this,

]

]

slightly terrible!

once modded, looked like this!

]

]

a hell of a lot better!
but, if you cannot be ***** with the hassle of modding these and you do not mind rinsing 20 odd quid on genuine parts, go OEM and get the genuine audi jobbies!

I can see why you modded them. Damn they bright!

Think I'm set for OEM. Cheers for the photosand confirming that man :)

Well, here are my 'chav' ones direct from ebay with no modification at all..... I dont think they are that bad at all?!

null_zps42391773.jpg

Reactions: Brennan
I've got the same eBay "chav" ones as ESD1711, and here they are:

P1000439_zps8076b583.jpg

CHEZ, they are definitely brighter in yours than in ours. Not sure why that should be.

I got mine from ebay, cost like £5 for 36mm pair, they were a little short but bent my connectors in a bit and they fit smugly.

Dont see the issue people have with the B7/8 throwing up errors, this is the first set i have tried and they work perfectly with no errors and they're only ebay cheapies :jump:

10432482_10152493350037140_6124252425172642142_n.jpg

Think I'm just going to buy the OEM ones. After trying 2 sets of Festoons I don't see it worth trying any more.

Would point out that the ebay ones shown above arent replacement festoon bulbs for your standard units, but are in fact actual complete replacement units....

Like I say, you'll be £60+ for a proper OEM setup.

From Kufatec, you're looking at £29 for the units, £25 for the harness and then another £7.50 postage.

£61.50 for something you can get for £25....

Reactions: CHEZ
Just ordered some from eBay - £23 all in :)

£60+ for the OEM ones is hard to justify just to get white light hitting my rear plate.

A word to the wise. The retaining screws are very soft, and you will have great difficulty removing then re-fitting them without stripping the heads unless you use a fine screwdriver and good technique. I know some here have replaced them with tiny Allen head screws.

I've replaced my screws with Allan bolts but one just spins - wondering if I can get something slightly larger as over bumps the dis flashes to say bulb out

Know exactly what you mean. Luckily a small screw driver set I have for stripping laptops worked a treat with a bit of pressure to keep the head intact.

Reactions: jdp1962