A5 Sportback 2.0 Diesel Auto Advice

Taxboy

Reaction score
I test drove a 10 plate last night & was generally impressed by the car except by what seemed like a slow pull away up to about 15 mph when it got into it's stride. The model I drove was the lower bhp - 134 iirc. Are things improved by the 170 bhp version or is this a general diesel auto issue. I'm not looking for setting that throws you back into your seat or shreds the tyres but it felt a bit like pulling away in second. I raised it with the dealer & he said the higher bhp felt a bit more torquey but fudged around the issue. He offered to get me a 170 to try if I wanted but if this a feature then its a deal breaker for and I wouldn't want to waste time on it

Do you know if it was the multitronic or s-tronic? I assume multitronic so can't speak from experience but a lot of people don't like it. What were the circumstances? Was this from a standstill or a rolling start (e.g. slowing for a roundabout/junction)?

Again I don't know what you experienced but diesels can be sluggish while the trubo spools up and, possibly combined with the multitronic could have been an issue.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly.

I believe it was a multitronic and seemed to be the case from almost stationary to slowing down to turn right without stopping and pulling away again

Multitronic I hear is awful - the S Tronic is more efficient and more fun.

I think if you purchase one of those cars, the answer is a remap which will never leave you feeling that the car is sluggish again! Not sure if that would be something you would like to consider though!

Also something I have noticed is that the newer A5's seem to have better engine mapping as standard from the dealership - maybe test drive a demonstrator at an Audi dealership to compare.

Just to defend the Multitronic, I have a 2.0Tdi 138 multitronic Sportback and I really like it. It doesn't feel sluggish at all to me and that's going from a 265BHP Audi S3 to my A5, obviously its not as fast as the S3 but it still pulls fine for me. Multitronic gets a lot of stick but its been fine for me and I've had my car 11 months now (2010 plate).

Reactions: Shrek5
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…