Overcooling and high oil consumption 2.0TFSi

TFSIer

2.0TFSi Sport Sportback 2006
Reaction score
I'm used to my 06 2.0TFSi using a lot of oil, especially on short journeys, but recently noticed an excessive consumption following 3 x 120 mile trips over the bank holiday. It went from max to min on the dipstick in that time, with most miles being on the motorway and hence the engine (should have been, see below) up to temp for most of the journeys. Had it checked out and no oil leaks or blue smoke. Crankcase breather valve ok and no excessive wear on turbo (its on 70k). No fault codes, performance is fine and mpg doesn't seem much different.

Coincidentally for the last couple of months the temp gauge has been seen to fluctuate a lot, often reading 75-80 in normal driving where it used to sit at 90 constantly. It reads up to 90 if in traffic or at idle but can cool down as low as 70 at speed. Gauge has been checked and reads ok in itself.

I've also been used to 'mayonnaise' collecting on the oil filler cap, especially in cold weather, due to a lot of short (4 mile) journeys where the engine hasn't got up to temp enough to evaporate the condensation away. This may have got a bit worse recently. There are no coolant leaks (or oil in coolant) and cylinder compression is fine.

I gather the above three issues could well be connected, with the overcooling resulting in the engine internals not getting up to temp and more oil getting past pistons and less condensation being evaporated. Suggestion is a faulty thermostat sticking/sticking open.

Thought for now is to get thermostat changed - cheap part but looks a pain of a job for DIY fitment or 3 hrs labour at garage so want to be reasonably happy I'm spending money on the right thing.

Anyone had similar related/connected issues ?

Are you using semi or fully synth oil ?
A kid had this at work and was told by an independant to start putting semi synth oil in as it's slightly thicker and he hasnt had the problem since

Interesting. Always used fully synth so far.