2.0 tdi A4 High milage still susceptible to oil pump failures? (Perspective purchase)

handmadematt

Reaction score
Hi chaps.
I'm off to look at a lovely grey A4 SE 2.0 tdi Estate 2005 it's high milage with 181,000 on the clock with a full service history.
I have read that this engine is/ was susceptible to oil pump failures.

If the fuel pump spindle has lasted until 181,000 miles is this a good one? Or could it still go? Is it even more likely to go?

Any other high milage related things to ask the seller that you can think of would be appreciated as well.
The car is in otherwise great condition according to the photos and description. It has cruise control, four brand new Michelin tyres, recent cam belt, all new discs and pads and three owners. Seeing as it's done double the national average milage in it's lifetime am right in assuming that it was probably mostly motorway miles?

What does the SE mean?

Ball park figures for how much it's worth?

Thanks guys. If I buy this car you'll be seeing a lot more of me around here. Ta.

SE is basic spec, but like all cars it may have been specced up from new
If its got a multitronic gearbox look elsewhere, google audi multitronic problems

Mine has just been done at 115K, so this one will have either been done or been very lucky. They all wear, its just a matter of time.

The multitronic box is fine, the interweb is full of scare stories, there are a lot more people who have had no problems. Make sure the oil is changed when it should be and it will be fine, the ones that fail are the ones that are abused.

Thanks guys. This car is a manual.
I'm assuming if it's got to this milage with a full service history then it will be fine then.
I'll ask the seller about whether it's been done. He seemed to know a lot when I spoke to him.
He also says it has built in sat nav but I can't see anything in the pictures of the dash, looks like a normal front load CD to me. Does anyone know anything about that?

What would you pay for it?

With that mileage you have a bargaining tool, I wouldn't want to pay more than £3500,
What price is it up for ?

Tell him 2k and work your way upwards, he will have a job punting it with them miles on the clock, so not going to be over run with buyers

Sidibear whilst you may be right, you also have to agree most car owners abuse their cars daily, dont get them serviced on schedule etc, so by your reasoning alone that means my original reply was spot on!

When wife said she wanted an audi, I did some research and quickly learnt two things avoid 2.0 tdi and any multitronic.

Tell him 2k and work your way upwards, he will have a job punting it with them miles on the clock, so not going to be over run with buyers

Sidibear whilst you may be right, you also have to agree most car owners abuse their cars daily, dont get them serviced on schedule etc, so by your reasoning alone that means my original reply was spot on!

When wife said she wanted an audi, I did some research and quickly learnt two things avoid 2.0 tdi and any multitronic.

I am with you Lynallbel, 2.0tdi AND automatic is a no brainer, don't just walk away,RUN !

It's a real shame that the Multitronic is so vulnerable to failure. When it's working, it's a thing of beauty.

SE is just the trim ie body style. Compared to the S Line, the S Lines have, flared bumpers, bigger alloy wheels, sportier seats, 3 spoke steering wheel.
The spec can be same on both cars, ie cruise control, BOSE, xenons, heated leather etc.

Just depends if you're bothered about how it looks really.

Thanks everyone.

In the end though I bought a different car. A 2004 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI Sport in Grey with black leather for £3k. It has dealer stamped history until 80k miles and then various receipts and MOT's until current 128k. It's got a brand new cambelt and clutch as well as a couple of tyres.
I'm super happy with it. It drives superbly.
A couple of niggles already though. The boot only opens with the remote, not the boot touch button. A common fault from what I gather.
Additionally the engine never heated up beyond about 70 degrees on the way home motorway driving. In town at the end it even dropped to 50. A quick Google also reveals this as a common fault. I'll have to investigate further but I hope it's OK to drive at the moment. Any thoughts on my purchase are appreciated.
Here she is:

The 1.9 is pretty much a bullet proof engine, great drive, I've had a few in the past and never had any issues. Pop over to the B6 section for all the info you'll need pal

Thanks everyone.

In the end though I bought a different car. A 2004 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI Sport in Grey with black leather for £3k. It has dealer stamped history until 80k miles and then various receipts and MOT's until current 128k. It's got a brand new cambelt and clutch as well as a couple of tyres.
I'm super happy with it. It drives superbly.
A couple of niggles already though. The boot only opens with the remote, not the boot touch button. A common fault from what I gather.
Additionally the engine never heated up beyond about 70 degrees on the way home motorway driving. In town at the end it even dropped to 50. A quick Google also reveals this as a common fault. I'll have to investigate further but I hope it's OK to drive at the moment. Any thoughts on my purchase are appreciated.
Here she is:
View attachment 34042

Damned fine-looking car! And like Mac says, a well-maintained 1.9Tdi will probably live longer than you.

Ign key in boot lid lock has three positions to the left open with key, straight up opens with 2nd press of remote fob, to the right only opens with boot button on remote fob. its in the manual, iirc!

On the saloon its pointing upwards near where you put your hand to open the boot, cant comment on yours as I didnt realise it was an avant.