A3 Coilovers - Help me make an informed decision

Nath1790

Reaction score
I've found plenty of threads on coilovers which are mainly related to the bargain basement JOM's or high end KW's etc.

I have a 1.8t AGU A3 98 on 115k. I've got worn top mounts, worn rear spring and a high rear end due to weight removal. Seeing as some coilover kits are so cheap even compared to springs or shock/spring kits I might as well just get coilovers.

As I've seen them mentioned on here so often I'll probably order them from DPM and my budget will be around £400 tops. Main use will be fast road and tracking it later this year.

My question is are these JOM's the best at this price range and is there anything more track orientated for my budget?

Also has anyone got an idea what drop will be required front/rear? Perhaps 30/40mm? (Garage will be fitting so prob best to tell them roughly lol).

I'll be sticking to 16" wheels too if that makes a difference.

Thanks All, this could be the first mod as opposed to fix on the car so far!

For a budget kit, around the £175.00, I'd say the JOM and Prosport kit a more comfortable ride where as the FK AK Street is a little firmer so could be a better option for you if you're wanting to use it on a track.

Drop is personal choice really but that's the joy of coilovers, adjust to suit.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Depending on how low you go you may need a ARB of a Quattro car to stop it rubbing. If you are tracking the car you may want to think about upping your budget a bit so you can get some with adjustable dampening, i've not tracked a car myself but hopefully one of the guys who have can give you a bit better insight

Reactions: kwistof
Cheers Damian & Lavis,

I'll most likely go for one of these budget kits as the price difference to adjustable dampers is quite a gap plus I need to be getting the cambelt & waterpump done Asap so modding is secondary to making sure the thing won't kill itself anytime soon :sadlike: I know in the longrun I'll end up getting some track focused adjustables but for the time being the suspension needs some attention as it is.

Another thing on the checklist are new ARB's front and back but I believe rubbing shouldn't be a problem until you're around 50mm+ lower? :think:

Eventually a lot of parts will be replaced/uprated but it's like a fix/mod a month atm plus it'd be nice to drive it without being conscious of another problem! Haha.

Cheers guys

Not yet bought my S3 but already thinking about mods and coilovers will be the first on my list. Got AP's on my 8P at the moment and can't rate them enough, but just wished they went slightly lower. Was looking at going for AP's for the S3 but I assume it would be the same case as them not going as low as I'd like and don't have the largest budget. Will be keeping my eye on this thread.

Just one random question. Generally speaking, what would give the better/comfier ride - coilovers that can lower by 50mm as low as the can go or coilovers that can lower by say 100mm but are only half way down the threads?

If you look on the dpm website at coilovers you can see what sets offer what adjustment. I'm happy the my Ap's on my a3 quattro (same set for the s3) and can go a log lower yet but some people have said they don't go low enough for their liking