Oil pump hex shaft failure suspected. 2.0tdi BRE engine. Audi Warranty experience.

sidibear

Going with the flow.
Staff member
Reaction score
I have started this thread as I am a trying to go through the Audi extended warranty to get the work done. I will update this thread as we go along.

My 08 A4 S-line Avant has a suspected Hex shaft failure, or is about to fail. 2.0tdi auto 115k It has started to make a noise when the engine was put into drive, worse when its hot. In neutral the air con was off and steering wheel straight. Air con was put on, no noise from engine, steering wheel was turned left to right and no noise from engine. Foot on brake, select drive and the engine made a slight rattle and sounded like something was engaging. DMF changed 4k ago so eliminates that. Noise coming from towards the front lower of the engine. With foot on the brake and drive selected, if you turned the steering wheel it makes a muffled rattle as the engine comes under more load, a little blip on the throttle and it goes away. It is only on idle and under load it makes any noises.

Audi Watery Lane Birmingham are doing the work. I have currently been quoted around £500 to take it apart to check, and then £250 excess on the extended warranty subject to inspection and agreement by Audi to cover the cost of the works. They did however say that it is covered by the extended warranty. So if it is worn and about to fail it is covered.

At the time of writing this, they picked the car up yesterday and now have my authorisation to take it apart which they are doing this morning.

Watch this space.

(Please don't add any replies as there is another thread for that, this is simply a thread to share the experience of going through Audi extended warranty to resolve this known issue)

Reactions: scotty76
Update.
Just spoke with them and the balance shaft is fine, the movement in the drive cogs is well within tolerance, they will be checking the hex shaft shortly.
They did find on further inspection that the air con comp pulley is knackered. They will be replacing this, putting the sump back on, refilling with oil and running the engine to re check.
If it still makes the same noise then the balance shaft and oil pump will be replaced under the warranty.
My bill at the moment is around £700.

"They did find on further inspection that the air con comp pulley is knackered"
Isn't it good practice to run the vehicle with the serpentine belt off to rule out any noisy components, like alternator or ac compressor and belt tensioner before stripping the engine down?
It's only a 10 minute job to take the belt off and if the noise is gone with it off its one of three items.

Steve, its not knackered enough to make the noise that is causing concern, the noise was definitely coming from the bottom front of the engine. Its being changed as 1, it needs changing, and 2, if the car still makes the noise then the whole balance shaft and oil pump arrangement will be changed.
With the engine running in neutral and air con off the reported noise was present when drive was selected. turning on the air con made no difference or any additional noise.

Latest update.
It is the oil pump hex shaft, the noise was caused by it slipping around inside the cog. Replacement is currently on its way.

Reactions: stevegrass777
All done at a cost of £606.74.

Pics of the hex shaft to follow as they are leaving it in the car for me to have a look at.

Piccy of the shaft.
2008 B7 2.0tdi auto 115k Dealer serviced.
Strip off the sump, replace the hex shaft and air con pulley, bang it all back together and oil and filter change, even cleaned the engine bay. Collected and delivered back.
Total cost £606.74

Massive thank you to Listers Audi Watery Lane Birmingham for all their help, assistance and fantastic service.

Reactions: ruairi83
All done at a cost of £606.74.

Pics of the hex shaft to follow as they are leaving it in the car for me to have a look at.

Was that your bill? Or the cost as covered by the insurance cover?

That was the cost to me, no need to go through the warranty claim.
It was my insistence that the sump came off so I paid for the labour. Parts on top of that was minimal and less than the £250 excess I have.
If there was more damage then the balance shaft, oil pump and the drive cogs and other stuff would have been replaced under the warranty.
If it had failed completely and had to go in to be fixed it also would have been covered under the warranty, but this way I got it early before any major damage was done or total parts failure.