Help Required wet A pillar trim

zoney

Reaction score
Hope someone can help but this is a little bit of a strange one!!!!
First of all the car is a A3 1.9 Tdi on a 51 plate the last few weeks the wife who owns the car has come home and started to tell me the trim on the A pillar next to the windscreen is soaking wet (Drivers side) so i removed the trim thinking if its wet then there would be signs of water on the metal under the trim but its bone dry along with the roof lining with only slight dampness on the floor next to the door . But there are signs of water running down the dash and the fuse box cover . So far ive checked the door seals and although the rubber trim on the windscreen has a few cracks in it no water seems to be getting in that i can tell .

I did try a Google search from a similar problem but all i can find is cars with sun roofs which this car doesnt have.

Hopefully some one might no the cause and how to sort it out .

Are the rain channels rusty? you may need to lift out the rain channel to see for sure

<tuffty/>

rain channels ?????
Need to locate and check those then

I took the trim off and left to dry on the house clipped it back in and with in 10 mins its soaked again problem is the rain aint that heavy out side and when driving theres no wind noise to give any indication where the water could be coming in :(

Ok finally got to the bottom of this hopefully by having the windscreen removed and refitted to find that where the screen is bonded to the car a huge amount of rust had destroyed the bonding around the screen allowing water to get in with ease . The metal around the screen had been ground down to clean metal and repainted with primer and then the screen refitted lets hope its fixed I suppose time will tell if its fully cured as a hose pipe test the car was dry but a good nights rain and a frost or 2 may tell a different story .

Give it a few days then use a pressure washer to test for leaks. It mimics a monsoon test used at the factory. Don't spray too close, a good foot or 2 away would suffice.

I had this issue, the car had a replacement windscreen at some point in its past and the installers scratched the paint, exposing bare metal, this turned to rot and eventually the sealant/bonding lifted and water ingress occured, that's the theory on my car anyway lol