S3 400+ mile range club

I have to admit to not having read every post in this thread, but to the point in the last couple of posts, after four weeks and 2000 miles of S3 ownership, I'm seeing an average consumption figure of just over 32 mpg. No where near the manufacturers quoted figures (to be expected) but absolutely great coming from two SEAT Leon Cupra's which returned just over 26mpg on like for like usage. Happy

well, I'm NOT saying I tried but I think I was easily getting there from my trip this morning....

PIC 1 = (since refuel) 350 miles remaining, 97.9 DONE
PIC 2 = total journey time 4h12m
PIC 3 = 40.6mpg
PIC 4 = average over the 4hrs/212 miles total this morning 56MPH, M6,M42,M40 Birkenhead - Northolt

2004 2.0TDI SE, 680 Miles to a £65 quid tank.. sorry i just had to.

Reactions: Audimad
monopole: Have you worked out your actual mpg via the brim method? These tuning boxes modify the signals (such as injection and boost), so the car ultimately thinks it is using less fuel than it actually is. I have a DTUK box for my Golf GTD and it is amazing, but it also changes the accuracy of the MFD for mpg. Without the box, my GTD is 3% optimistic (vs brim method mpg calculation), with the box, the MFD is 9% optimistic. I'm convinced that is where most of these tuning boxes come in with their "get 10% more mpg" claims. The box fools the car.

Any of the new S3 owners in the 400+ mile club then?

No, but I can see it being done if you drive slowly enough on motorways. If I drive mine carefully but still ending up doing fast lanes speeds then I'm getting 30mpg (just tested over 300 mostly motorway miles via the brim to brim method). If you chug along at 65 then I'm sure you could get 40mpg but the boredom would kill me, possibly literally.

I don't buy the argument that as the car is an s3 you should drive the **** off it constantly and fuel economy doesn't matter. I rag mine when the conditions are right and I'm in the mood, and at that time I expect to be burning a lot of fuel and I don't mind. But I love the fact that the same car can turn in 30mpg plus if you ask it to, if it didn't I wouldn't have bought it, I'd have gone for the 184 tdi (and put up with the stronic ). I drive 200 mile round trips to watch Villa never score a goal, but at least it doesn't cost me a fortune.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Not a new owner but here is a pic I took in the summer. Only thing to note is the car is running a DTUK box and a mix of Tesco99 and Shell V Power.

Still not in the club yet, however with fuel prices the way they are right now, I'm not too fussed with the economy. It was £1.54/l for V-power (or Optimax) a couple of years ago and when I filled up yesterday it was £1.13/l. That saving alone is worth the smile that the car still brings
I think if I were to do a long trip with no time restriction then I might set the ACC to 80 (I mean 70) and see what happens. I would be intrigued to see what the highest anyone has managed to get from setting the trip computer to 0 though. I reckon someone will eventually hit the 500 mark.

I should have bought an S3, did a brim to brim calculation today on my 140tdi and came out at 42mpg so 12p a mile.

mental - i cant get 300 at the moment !

Reactions: veeeight

I'll be finding out on one of my Sussex to Aberdeen cross country trips in a couple of months fill the filler neck right to the top so the fuel is pretty much leaking out the filler cap wounder if anyone has done 100% motorway miles aswell!

Ooooooo im in this club now .... (Actually im 495) ....im averaging 27MPG ......great!! Going to increase the weight of my right foot soon .....run in period is almost done

you did 495 miles on a tank? HOW!?! i'm driving like miss daisy and the most I get is 375 miles to a tank, mind you the cars only just done 500 miles of run in.

Ah ....I might have misunderstood the thread....lol. I mean ive covered 495miles .....and no not on 1 tank !!?!? Think ive filled up twice ...

Reactions: elpaulio and TTP2120
Was 3/4 when i collected tho ......and filled up waaay before empty

I can categorically say that I am very doubtful I will ever have the self restraint to join this club!! Fair play to all members though

Reactions: dirtymusket1, David83S3 and Cymru09
I just did a 640km road trip and computer says I have 240km left.
fuel consumption reads as 7.3 l/100km about 38 mpg (imp)

Most i have seen on my S3 is 330 miles on a tank (with 5,500 miles on the clock) maybe i should drive slower...................

NOT !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: elpaulio
Just out of interest does anyone with an S3 work out their pence per mile?

Just out of interest does anyone with an S3 work out their pence per mile?

My stats as of my last fill up,
24,402 mile
£1.254 ltr average
3,205 ltr used
£4,019.25 total cost
£0.162 per mile
35.08 average mpg

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Geoffads
2090 miles covered total, average 33mpg (indicated on trip 2) ish best i can get indicated range is 375.

She's been hand reared exclusively on Shell V-Power Nitro + since birth.

Tend to get 50 miles or so before the range starts to drop following a tank!

Standard car other than an open cone filter

Ive now based my consumption on 'smiles per mile'
This week was £67 shell nitro+ and I got 12 smiles... 3 of which were this evening where I exchanged 3 white fuel blocks for 1 red one... all in the space of 35 miles.
Included was 1 almighty LC drag with an 08 M3 where the mighty S3 conquered

Just managed 400 miles on a tank over 2 and a bit days. 2 day leisure break with the other half a mix of Motorways A, B, and C roads up hills and down dales so to speak. Keeping up with the flow of the traffic most of the time because the roads were very busy.......and lots of cameras, not the Nikon variety.

Why is this thread full of people slagging people off for trying to get economy out of their S3? If you don't agree with the sentiment you can clearly see what the thread is about so leave it alone? Can't stand all these "if you care about economy you've bought the wrong car" comments. I want a well built comfortable car with a high specification that is capable of reasonable economy on a mundane work commute, is fairly practical, but when i'm in the mood to put my foot down is fast and can overtake safely with ease. What car should I have ordered if the S3 is the wrong car then?

Reactions: Audimad, SilureMark and Nikon
BMW 335d

More torque than a S3
Better economy than a S3
Better handling than a S3

BMW 335d

More torque than a S3
Better economy than a S3
Better handling than a S3

Have you had one? As a 3 series owner would have been easier for me to stay with BMW. Yes, more torque but the handling (IMO) is NOT better than the S3 as the ride height on an x-drive BMW is compromised. Yes, better economy but been told by owners that it's probably far less % wise you get over the quote figure than the S3. I wanted a smaller car than the 3 series I have and the interior quality of the 3 series isn't as good as the S3.

1.4 COD over a total of 3.1k miles on the DIS says 37.9

I'm gunna go order an S3!

To be fair, I got 50mpg on a 127 mile drive - I did not drive with economy in mind either. I did have V-Power in, not sure if that'd have an influence on the economy - it's an age old debate! I'm guessing the average thing is because of my driving any other time, not really long journeys

I didn't say anything about the x-drive version.

The standard saloon out-handles the S3 on a B-road, and is to all intents and purposes, quicker in that situation, as well as being more economical when compared on a like-for-like journey.

You asked the question, I answered it.
Not my problem if you didn't like the (correct) answer

Don't be sarcastic with me please - the 335d is ONLY available in xdrive, that's why I assumed you were referring to "the x-drive version", sorry I thought you knew your car stuff. Not my problem if you don't like the (correct) answer either.

It isn't ONLY available in x-drive ........

You can certainly order a non x-drive 335d
(Granted, I drove one in Germany)

Anyone drove in efficiency mode? Mine makes it worse!

127 mile drive, went up in eco mode absolutely nursed it and got 46.9mpg I didn't even go over 60mph - on the way back drove a little more brisk in comfort mode - did a few over takes on single carriageways and did 70 - 80mph on duals and got 50mpg?!

Drive harder and faster must be the key

It isn't ONLY available in x-drive ........

You can certainly order a non x-drive 335d
(Granted, I drove one in Germany)

Silly me, I thought we were talking UK spec cars.

Don't be sarcastic with me please - the 335d is ONLY available in xdrive, that's why I assumed you were referring to "the x-drive version", sorry I thought you knew your car stuff. Not my problem if you don't like the (correct) answer either.
@veeeight - He's right you know buddy. Just had a look on the BMW Uk configurator thingy & in the Uk you can only order the 335d new in x-drive now
However, BMW did sell the 335d's in 2 wheel drive in its earlier life as well
So you & @sunscreemer are both right

Reactions: veeeight
@Bristle Hound yes, I was being mischievous by including non-UK spec cars in my reply
Slap on the wrist

However, @Craigl 's excellent post from another thread certainly resonates true, I'll repost his words here:

"Sounds to me like some people have S3's so they can tell their friends they've got one.
It's not the most exciting to drive, nor did it make me want to get in it and go for a drive, but I averaged 26mpg over 11 months and 7000 miles.

Some of you need to either try harder and drive it like it should be driven, or admit defeat, stop caring so much about the "bragging rights" and get a diesel."

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-fuel-economy.246239/page-2#post-2486242

In any event, S3 fuel economy threads always end up being circular, however this particular one qualifies for double naffness, as the thread title talks about 400+ mile *range* - that you see when you've just filled up! As opposed to really seeing 400 actual miles from a tank (although post #186 has seen it).

The other element that is always conveniently ignored on fuel economy threads, is that most people go off the DIS - whose fuel economy figures can be out by 9 to 10% - as demonstrated in post #148.
(But you can adjust the correction factor in VCDS): http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-8v-today.236518/page-15#post-2482126

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound

Well said Sir. I've now done 22k in my S3 and I've been averaging around 34/35mpg on my 60 mile daily commute. I can get 40mpg easily enough if I try. I like having the power of the S3, but 95% of the time I can't use it as I am driving in traffic, so given that I average 20,000 miles a year, having decent fuel economy AND a fast car matters to me. These idiots who harp on about fast cars and fuel economy being unrelated subjects need to understand that you can have both these days... my TPW anyway...

Reactions: Daveotto, sunscreemer, Nikon and 1 other person
I was so close to joining. Did an 825 mile trip to Download and back last weekend. Used ACC most of the way which was probably the reason why i only managed 395 nearly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…