Audi A3 S-Line Xenon Daytime Running Lights

JAY35H

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2009 Audi A3 S-Line Black Edition with the Xenon Headlights and the right side DRL has gone as shown below:

Capture

The error on the dashboard is:

Photo

Being a new Audi owner and not having a clue about these type of lights, I went to Halfords (sacrilege I know...!) and they were less than useful, then I tried Audi Reading who told me I would have to replace the entire unit at the cost of £400+ which is ridiculous.

Can anyone help with any advice on getting this DRL working again without incurring the large Audi expense?

Thanks in advance!

If its anything like the A6s which I think they are, you need a whole new headlamp assembly.

Hi,

I have a 2009 Audi A3 S-Line Black Edition with the Xenon Headlights and the right side DRL has gone as shown below:

View attachment 29617

The error on the dashboard is:

View attachment 29618

Being a new Audi owner and not having a clue about these type of lights, I went to Halfords (sacrilege I know...!) and they were less than useful, then I tried Audi Reading who told me I would have to replace the entire unit at the cost of £400+ which is ridiculous.

Can anyone help with any advice on getting this DRL working again without incurring the large Audi expense?

Thanks in advance!

besides cutting open the headlight (can be done i have ) to get to the circuit and repair it ,then its a replacement headlight im afraid.

Getting into these is actually a mission, let alone resealing well, I've tried & it was too much of a mess or worthwhile to do for others, so my suggestion is to test with another to prove the fault & then look at replacing which gives you a 2 year parts warranty anyway, we can get a new light for you & fit, but part cost wont be any different I'm afraid.

Yes deffo full headlight replacement, buy a 2nd hand one if brand new is too expensive, I bought a pair From Audi for £600 bare, so would be £300 brand new, and then change it yourself, it's a doddle. Front bumper has to come off then headlight can come out, swap all the bits over and put back together, will save lots of money instead of letting the main dealer do it.

Hear what you are saying NHN.

If it were me, I'd have a go and open up the headlight unit. Worth a punt..

Although not listed, perhaps these guys may be able to help.
How to contact BBA reman.

Getting into these is actually a mission, let alone resealing well, I've tried & it was too much of a mess or worthwhile to do for others, so my suggestion is to test with another to prove the fault & then look at replacing which gives you a 2 year parts warranty anyway, we can get a new light for you & fit, but part cost wont be any different I'm afraid.

Reactions: NHN
Oh of course if you had nothing to lose & resided to buying new, but I can assure you opening the facelift headlights is harder than the pre, as they're seriously well stick together & with staples, older ones were easy to heat & pull apart, these feckers aren't, trust me I tried lol.

£300 is optimistic these days, as electronic units discount is limited, plus prices have gone up a fair bit, rrp is £411 each bare & discount on audi electronics isn't 25%.

only way to seperate the lens from the housing is with a dremel . you have to cut along the groove where the lens meets with the black plastic . then reseal them with pu adhesive . take your time or the heat from the dremel reseals the cut you have just made . Don't touch the chrome ! it comes off on you're finger tips .

Attachments

• 20140121_163034.jpg
    20140121_163034.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 732
  • 20140121_163007.jpg
    20140121_163007.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Yeah that's what I found & unfortunately for the clients it wasn't an option, so I didn't fully proceed.

well TBH mine was a failed attempt at cleaning the insides of the lens . when i got the car the lenses were full of sand ?? the lenses had dirty water marks on them as well , they just made the car look old .

read some posts that methanol is a good product for cleaning them , sadly it didn't work just smeared the dirt around more.

so it was either cut em open ,or stick them in the bin .

lol, that's very funny, as I also had a job of this, but you have to be careful, as they seemed to have a coating on the inside that was very very susceptible to any fabric that was used to try & clean, they left scratches even when using something decent, but this wasn't the sole issue, hence replacements.

think i was born with a black cloud hanging over my head , took car in only 2 weeks after acquiring it for bonnet etc painting due to stone chips ,6 weeks later had to remove it and take it elsewhere ,they had butchered the god damn thing ,then painted it with a sock .

finally get car back tomorrow 10 weeks later after a full respray . my god it was bad felt like burning the thing !

At the time I get mine it was a year ago and they were £360 each incl vat I managed to get 20% discount and that's the best they give me. My main dealer call me cost plus 10 as they only sell things to me at 10% over what it costs them
Haha.

Sounds like a cool arrangement.

Hey Guys lets get our parts from a3_sline-tdi....:arco:

At the time I get mine it was a year ago and they were £360 each incl vat I managed to get 20% discount and that's the best they give me. My main dealer call me cost plus 10 as they only sell things to me at 10% over what it costs them
Haha.

OP I sympathise. Isn't it ironic that we're all supposed to be more environmentally aware, yet you are expected to scrap a headlight unit that has used up a fat load of the earth's resources to create, just cos a couple of LEDs and/or a circuit board costing a couple of quid at most to make has failed? It's nuts.

Of course, however if out, you can challenge them for goodwill.