REV COUNTER BACK LIGHT BULB FAILURE

rum4mo

Reaction score
As per the title line, as I was driving to work this morning, the back light bulb(?) behind the "S4" logo "went off" - and has stayed off!

Car is still under warranty, but maybe I should try to sort this out myself, so, has anyone managed to replace a rev counter bulb if indeed they are bulbs - and if so, is it possible to do this (with small hands/long fingers) from below the instrument panel and without removing it? Thanks!

As per the title line, as I was driving to work this morning, the back light bulb(?) behind the "S4" logo "went off" - and has stayed off!

Car is still under warranty, but maybe I should try to sort this out myself, so, has anyone managed to replace a rev counter bulb if indeed they are bulbs - and if so, is it possible to do this (with small hands/long fingers) from below the instrument panel and without removing it? Thanks!

tbh pal, if it's still under warranty take it back to dealer, there shouldn't be an issue with them sorting it

Yeah dealer job, as its probably an led aswell surface mounted.

Defo a dealer job, though take a couple of pics of the dash as proof, in case they damage or scratch anything.

Reactions: Macdoon
Thanks for your replies, very much as I had expected, trouble is, I tend to be the sort of car buyer/owner that considers that cars last "X" miles or "Y" years or "Z" visits to a garage. So far I've kept cars on the "Y" years limitation only! The trouble is assuming "your" standards with respect to associated panel/trim damage is the same as the person at the dealer.

Other issue is the car is now almost 37 months old, though its Audi (selling) dealer extended its (secondhand) warranty up to "12 months from date of purchase" - while the paperwork came from Audi I'm concerned that cover for this failure will not be in place.

Only one way to find out I'd reckon (place my trust in local Audi dealer) - here goes - well within a week or so.

Yeah dealer job, as its probably an led aswell surface mounted.

I've just done a scan of the car and there is an issue with the engine - "ROD" file is N/A or not there!

What could that mean? Any possible connection with a light being out, an Audi way of telling you something?!

I've forwarded the log file to Ross-Tech as requested by VCDS.

From a previous log, the "ROD" stuff should be the roughly the same as the "ASAM" stuff, ASAM file name is same as before but ROD is "N/A"

This issue does not result in a fault code being generated. It be as simple as "ROD" is Read Only Data and VCDS's current file for that ASAM file does not exist now.

Just one other point, as this car was scanned back in July 13 when VCDS was at an earlier issue, it might just be an error with the latest issue of VCDS when connected to that model of engine. I've had possibly similar issues with VCDS where it had its correct data file for a BBY years ago, but in subsequent issues had lost files for that engine. I always meant to alert Ross Tech to that problem but kind of forgot about it.

Last edited:
The above "ROD" file issue has been solved by Ross-Tech, they sent me a replacement file to try and it gave the correct result, so that is one problem solved! Prompt service as usual from Ross-Tech!