Power Steering Servotronic issue

Brian1976

Reaction score
Hello all,

my S4 seems to have lost servotronic PAS at low speeds it's fine at higher speeds and doesn't feel heavy but parking is becoming a workout. I took it to the garage and they turned the wheel while the car was stationary and immediately said it was the pump. There is no whining or groaning and I've topped up the fluid.

Does this sound like the pump as it seems strange that it is easy to drive over 15 mph, I thought if the pump failed I'd have arms of steel. I have a VCDS system but don't know what to look for

cheers

Brian

Sounds like it could be the module. I had this as well ended up buying a new one at £133 which fortunately was covered by warranty. If you take off the panel below the steering wheel you will see some relays plugged in, if memory serves mine was numbered 640. Mine seemed to be affected by cold weather, ie it worked OK when I kept it in the house overnight, might be worth trying that before you splash out on a new one, although they do come up on ebay.
If you look at my earlier post from November -3.0tdi heavy steering-(sorry on an iphone and cant cut/paste the link) you'll see a handy table that Azeem posted on with the different modules/relays which will fit.
I agree with you, if the pump had failed Arnie wouldn't be able to turn the wheel, try it with the engine off!
Bit of a pain but a lot cheaper than the mechanical side so fingers crossed.

PS my fault didn't show up on a scan

Last edited:
Thought it might be the module although like yours it doesn't show up on the scan, it's been intermittent for a while and now gone completely. I tried steering the car with the engine off and then turned it on keeping the same resistance and it turned easily after ignition. I tried reseating the module the other day, but I think I'll definitely try that first as I can't understand how my mechanic could say it was the pump when he could turn the wheel while it was stationary.

cheers for the reply much appreciated

Brian

Sounds like the module to me. I had an issue with mine only working intermittently (generally on warmer days or when the interior was warm at least). Changed the module for a second hand one which I got off eBay for around £30 and voila! I believe the module I got was from a A6/A8 and the steering becomes heavier a lot sooner, which personally I prefer.

As mentioned above if you have a look at my previous posts, you might find further information about this issue.

Azeem.