Deadlock mode

Nitro

Reaction score
Once again my B5 has gone into a dead lock mode. Think i pressed lock button twice with doors open now it is in dead lock. The remote not working the key only opens divers door. the inside lock unlock not working. No sound in boot from pump. The interior light not working when door is opened. And when you switch off after a drive the interior lights not coming on as they once did.
Tried all the resync thing not working. This has happened before and a VW audi garage did some thing and everything came back to life. This last happened about a year ago. Does anyone know what to do to sort it out?

B5 doesnt have a deadlock. Sounds like the central locking pump has failed.

Check the fuses though, maybe one has popped?

OK will check fuses, thanks. (which ones) But why is interior lights only working when you switch them on with the over head buttons. Also no lights flash when you press remote buttons. (would they not still flash if pump had failed?) Also is it worth me disconnecting the car battery for a few minutes and then seeing if that resets it. As this happened a year ago and the garage did something to correct it i do not think it is pump fault. Could be wrong though. My car is one of the very last B5's made so could it have a different central locking system in it with some sort of deadlock or something to that effect?

The pump controls all the interior lighting, alarm, locking and various other convenience features (i suspect your electric windows wont work either for instance), so given the symptoms, it absolutely is a fault with the pump of some sort.

Just look for fuses labelled central locking.

Disconnecting the battery might help, worth a try and costs nothing.

The garage last time may well have just stuck a new fuse in it and charged you handsomely for the privilege!

I've seen them just clean up green connections on the pump from water ingress and not fix the water leak...

Thanks guys, OK so if the pump is the problem can it be fixed or is it a replacement? I guess you do not try second hand ones as they could be about to go pop. What sort of wallet damage is a replacement? Also about two years ago when my alarm went off the lights would flash but the siren had stopped working. is it all one unit

no the siern is seperate. The battery in the siern fails and it stops working. Thats quite common.

As for the pump, i'd start by checking fuses. if its not that, have a look to see if its got water logged or similar.

I'd throw a used pump in it if it is the pump, it'll be fine.

Reactions: Broken Byzan
ok so here we go again, took out the pump, the bottom of the foam housing it sits in is wet/damp. but took pump out and it is dry inside. When taking pump out with vacuum hoses off i turned the key in boot lid the pump started to spin i had to open the boot lid and put my hands over the inlet and outlet tubes to get the pump to switch off. So pump works, took it out opened it and it is not broken as per pictures on here from another b5 central locking thred. So could it just be faulty connections at the pump? Any ideas welcome. When the garage had a quick look they told me the remote is sending the signal fine. Could the damp have damaged the pcb in the pump. it looks fine no wet stains at all. can they be changed or is it a complete pump.

Sounds like the pump is working ok. Wierd how it wasn't making a noise in the first place.. If the pump is still working ok when you out it back in then sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere...