In need of some help...

stevowmt

Reaction score
Hi All, I could use a bit (lot) of help! Firstly, let me give you some background. The car in question is an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport on a 53 plate. Just over 100k on the clock.

I purchased the car about 9 months ago. Initially no problems. I then stopped using the car for about 5 months (away on work).

Upon using the car again, I noticed that when driving on runs, the turbo would cut out. After switching the engine off and back on again, it would work again. This was followed by the Emission Control System light coming on. There are no other lights on. This problem would not happen when driving around town.

I have just taken the car to a local garage run by a friend. He can read faults but is really only a service/MOT garage - this he said was a bit over his head. He said I had 8 faults. 2 he could sort. 6 he couldn't. 2 of which are 'major' in his words.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the following codes, and offer any solutions/costs.

I'm ready for the bad news...

Thank you all in advance - here are the codes...

1. Control Module - fault code P0606

2. Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit (Q13) - fault code P0674

3. Load control 18051 (1643)

4. EGR16785 - fault code P0401

5. Processor fault 16990 - fault code P0606

6. Over boost fault 16618 - fault code P0234

Thank you all

Hi All, I could use a bit (lot) of help! Firstly, let me give you some background. The car in question is an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport on a 53 plate. Just over 100k on the clock.

I purchased the car about 9 months ago. Initially no problems. I then stopped using the car for about 5 months (away on work).

Upon using the car again, I noticed that when driving on runs, the turbo would cut out. After switching the engine off and back on again, it would work again. This was followed by the Emission Control System light coming on. There are no other lights on. This problem would not happen when driving around town.

I have just taken the car to a local garage run by a friend. He can read faults but is really only a service/MOT garage - this he said was a bit over his head. He said I had 8 faults. 2 he could sort. 6 he couldn't. 2 of which are 'major' in his words.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the following codes, and offer any solutions/costs.

I'm ready for the bad news...

Thank you all in advance - here are the codes...

1. Control Module - fault code P0606

2. Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit (Q13) - fault code P0674

3. Load control 18051 (1643)

4. EGR16785 - fault code P0401

5. Processor fault 16990 - fault code P0606

6. Over boost fault 16618 - fault code P0234

Thank you all

Get your wallet out, its new turbo time!

16618/P0234/000564 - Ross-Tech Wiki

If your car hasnt had a new turbo yet, then its bang on the time they, on average, need replacing.

I was thinking as much mjr901. Any idea as to the severity of the other faults?

Unsure on price of turbo and fitting if just replacing as preventative measure. However if you run it until the turbo fails, it requires significantly more work. Mine went and it needed the intake pipework and manifold, intercooler, EGR pipework all taking off and cleaning and refitting, as it had emptied a quantity of engine oil into them. Total bill for new turbo and labour came to £969.

Just being very optimistic here, but is there any chance that the fault code P0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected) is affecting the turbo? For example putting it into some sort of 'power save' mode or something because of the clogged pipe(s) etc? Thanks

I understand your train of though, but unfortunately not. EGR stuck open could rob the turbo of a little exhaust gas, but you would have different error codes, most likely underboost not overboost. Also the car would be smokey at a guess, and wouldn't be detecting "insufficient" EGR flow.

The EGR error you have is likely new EGR valve needed (cost me £60 and I fitted it myself). Or could be simpler and a split vac pipe to EGR.

Thank you all so much for you replies. I guess it's new turbo time. Does anyone know the one i'd need? Sorry, as you can tell I'm a novice!

Stick your reg in on eurocarparts. I'd recommend new over recon, but that may only be because of a bad experience myself!

Just read this from another thread:

dont touch a recon tdi garret turbo ! have a read of this Insist On Genuine Garrett VNT Turbochargers it explains all the problems with buying a recon unit mainly they never work properly as they are so hard to set up the vnt system and theirs no genuine parts available for them

where about are you located? As someone my be able to help you find a cheaper solution. I've used these guys before Turbo Solutions - The Number 1 Turbocharger Remanufactures and the cost for a replacement turbo was around £300 (not including fitting) but you do need to give them your old turbo back. My recon turbo has been in the car for over a year now and done around 30K without any problems.

One will prob be new and the other 'recon' or 'reman'. Can't look at the links as I am on my mobile.

I think the quality of recon turbos varies a lot. Finding a good reputable supplier, as it appears B5nut has, is crucial.

Turbo technics always get an excellent write up too.

The car is based in Cornwall - probably not the best place to find a turbo company! With the fault cods listed and what I've said, do you all think it's deffo a new turbo job? I don't mind paying it, just don't want to buy one and then find out it's not the turbo haha!

The other option is have someone strip and clean the turbo, as it is likely sticky vanes. However paying somebody to do this and then if it fails a couple of months later you've had to pay out twice for the labour of removing and refitting.

Hmm, so you think that the 'over boost' code is either a new turbo or clean out. Could it be anything else? Thanks

I had same had mine reconed at turbo clinic leeds been great since

From reading all the threads when investigating my overboost issue, it never appears to be anything else!

Ok, thanks. Southylad, how much did that cost you? So the options are:

1. buy a new one
2. get the old one refurbed
3. buy a refurbed one (and trade in my old one)

Thanks

Could someone translate this to English for me please haha...

A common reason for the Audi A3 turbo to fail on modern diesel engines is due to excessive back-pressure from the exhaust and carbon-backup. – The root cause for this problem is normally down to the Diesel Particulate Filter being frequently blocked above 30-40% requiring forced regeneration.

Thank you all -

Cost about £350 , I wouldnt buy a so called recon unit or even a new unit from anywhere un recomended or on ebay or such like stick to recomended and reputable places I had a check round and turbo clinic came recomended

Afternoon all. So after your help and doing some digging, I'm getting deeper into what's going on. And I can tell you, it's been very fun learning! The two codes I'm concerned about are:

16785/P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: Insufficient Flow Detected

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Reduced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
Reduced Power Output/Engine running rough
Increased Emissions
Possible Causes
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow restricted/clogged
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve stuck closed/leaking/faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve faulty
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System faulty
Possible Solutions
Check/Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
Special Notes
Some TDI-CR engines have a filter for the EGR that can become restricted and cause a "Insufficient Flow" code.

With the above, a) is it something to worry about, and if so what could it be and b) could sorting out that problem help the following code...

16618/P0234/000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Boost Pressure too high
Reduced Power Output
Possible Causes
Hoses incorrectly connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty
Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty
Turbo Charger stuck/faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Charge Pressure Control System
Perform Output Test (to check the Turbo Charger)
Perform Basic Setting (to check the Charge Pressure Control)
Perform Pressure Test to locate Leaks
Check/Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75)
Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G31)
Check/Replace Turbo Charger

Now, if they are 2 unrelated problems, with the over boost, I've done some research and come up with some solutions. It would be great to see what you guys think...

1. Could try the 'Mr Muscle' technique to see if this helps (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/107121-un-sticking-your-tdi-vnt-turbo-vanes.html). Would, if this worked, the veins clog back up again and the problem happen again? If so, over what time frame?

2. I've found a really good post that gives a couple of options as to what it could be, and said that on quite a lot of occasions turbos are replaced unnecessarily. See here > Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI - TDIClub Forums

But to summarise, it says it could be:

Bad Maf (Oxygen Sensor)
Leak in the vacuum system
Faulty N75
Bad actuator
Dirty gummed up turbo causing variable vanes to jam or stick

What do you guys think to the above?

3. In another article I read (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...1-a3-tdi-140-help-overboosting-limp-mode.html) the chap had his turbo reconed but it still didn't work. He was then told it could be a problem with the EGR (blocked?) or Mass Air Flow sensor. A potential problem with the cylinder head was also mentioned... Thoughts?

So, to summarise, if anyone could rule out/elaborate on the above, it would a huge help. I am a novice, but learning all the time. So thank you! here are the key problems again...

Car goes in to limp mode - Emission Control System light is on - code came up as P0234 (over boost) - car shudders when idle.

Thank you!