the new edition.. 110 TDi Quattro avant

Kev, i think i've got a cam locking tool for a vag TDI in the garage. Also a big round locking pin?

if you want it just cover the postage.

Kev, i think i've got a cam locking tool for a vag TDI in the garage. Also a big round locking pin?

if you want it just cover the postage.

That would be fantastic Kev cheers,let me know if you find it and we can sort it out then.

so today was nice and dry and I had my dad up at a lose end.. so we got the car in the drive and set about removing the rusty subframe... we started it about 1 after the wee man went to nursery and had the car back on its wheels for around 5

rusty bit on the old one... ( it was worse than I first thought.. I had also bodged it up earlier in the year with some liquid metal and black paint to get it through its MOT )
20150608_181503_zpsbbgt1lml.jpg

new one in place with a full suspension arm kit..
20150608_181848_zpsw1mnw3hu.jpg

so hopefully if its dry this week ill get the front end off and get the timing belt kit, water pump and new power steering pump fitted and ill see how I get on with doing the turbo and decat.

Was it difficult to pull the subframe? Did you do a guide?

I have mine to swap at some point too. Not looking forward to the job in all honesty! lol

Was it difficult to pull the subframe? Did you do a guide?

I have mine to swap at some point too. Not looking forward to the job in all honesty! lol

It wasnt as hard as I expected to be honest.
we blocked the car up with wood as can be seen in the second picture and put a bottle jack under the gearbox.
we loosened the alloy mounts from the body but never removed them. but getting them loose allowed to the subframe to slide out from them.
we used 2 big bolts my dad had for aligning the subframe back up. as I say it took around 4 or 5 hours out in the drive but that was from bringing the car into the drive to it sitting back down on its wheels. we had a wee break while there was a shower and a couple of coffee breaks so it wasnt to bad.

Reactions: S4_dan
been a while since Ive updated this. ended out moving house plus the wee man has also been in and out of hospital so my minds been else where.and the car has been put on the rear burner
( its done 45 miles since the last MOT in May!! plus it sat with no Mot since January until May )
so started work on the car a few days ago as the steering rack started leaking when I moved it last time.( think the seals were dry due to lack of use!! I bought a refurbished steering rack and started working on it.
also finally pulled the front end off to do the timing belt and water pump. so while ive been in there ive took the old turbo off and plan on fitting the 130 turbo and decat pipe. the down pipe has fell to bits so im held up at the moment until I source one but having issues as none of the usual places can supply me a quattro exhaust front pipe.

The downpipe is £50 from the dealer. Might get some discount using the parts request thing on ASN too. Its specific to the TDI quattro B5 and doesnt seem to be available aftermarket.

That steering rack you wanted off me is still sat there. I guess you've got one now though...

That steering rack you wanted off me is still sat there. I guess you've got one now though...

sorry Kev with everything going on with the wee man being in and out of hospital I forgot I had organised to get one off you.
it was last week I decided I needed to do something with the car and when I moved it I ended out with a trail of power steering fluid in and out the drive. I ended out buying a refurbished one for piece of mind

so after the Audi being off the road for nearly a year and ive had other stuff going on I wasn't getting much time to spend on it.

I finally got it in a position where I could start it last Thursday night..
Ive changed the steering rack, track rod ends, timing belt, water pump, power steering pump and fitted the eibach springs with S4 dampers all round.
I also fitted a decat and the PD130 turbo. and completely removed the EGR valve.
It went for a run along the road on Friday but wasn't boosting but then I realised I hadnt blocked off the vacuum pipe for the EGR valve..
Blocked that off at the side of the road and it came back along the road pulling as it should..
its had a wee bit use this week up and down to Falkirk twice and up to Limerigg a few times.
shes pulling well no smoke even on boost. next job is new vacuum pipes and ill fit the bigger nozzles.

front bumper should hopefully be getting changed soon as Ive got the S4 bumper away to get painted

now to get some more miles on it before its MOT next month..
20170427_154710_zpsicnw0n4y.jpg

Good to see its back on the road!

Have you moved? Looks like a different driveway?

Hows your son doing?

Yea Im chuffed its back on the road. Ive just never had time to get near it between moving house and hospital visits.
We are still In Slamannan but we got another house that's better suited for the wee man.

The drive ways a bit of a half finished job at the moment. going to get the slabs laid properly up the top and Im thinking on just getting the bottom half done with tar. good thing is both cars can sit in side by side. Ive never had time to do the drive correctly. I got the type 1 delivered got it levelled and whacked and never got any further as the house and garden has taken priority

He's doing well still having some issues with his spinal cord there is a possibility of nerve damage but hes still too young to tell.
Hes now having to wear a spinal brace 20 hours a day which has been a challenge for him and us.
but all in hes still a happy wee chap which is the main thing. cheers for asking Kev

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
hmmm loving this... 15 plate seat Leon.. engine management light is on and its in limp mode..( its gutless at the best of times... )
she's waiting on the garage coming to collect it and she needs to go out... what's the wife driving.... oh yea the 20 year old Audi....

Im still not happy how the rear end is sitting so got my mate to pick up a set of H&R springs of an avant s4 so hoping this will sort the rear end out as its saloon eibach springs that's on it at present.

Sorted my exhaust rattle. Finally changed the rear silencer. Centre section is pretty bodged up but its quiet which is the main thing.
It will get it through its MOT and I will look into getting a stainless system on to it in the near future.

Oh and its sitting a bit squint, try taking the nearside rear mount off and turning it 180degrees. I've had that before and swapping the mount around sorted it out.

Reactions: jbh
Did i only give you the back box or did the mid section not fit? I cant remember!
Ive had a look after reading this but cant see it as my mid section is not far away from being scrap metal.
The top of the mid silencer has actually came away my only saving grace is the silencer appears to be double skinned

Oh and its sitting a bit squint, try taking the nearside rear mount off and turning it 180degrees. I've had that before and swapping the mount around sorted it out.

Ill try that tomorrow I did think it was off a bit. It does look better than the original rear pipe though.

anyone ever replaced a tab on the headlight? Ive got 2 set's or xenons one set is a bit clearer than the other but the near side one has a missing tab beside the indicator which causes it to wobble.

thinking about it, i think i kept it and put it on my track car.

I had a 2.8Q system and a 1.8TQS system. Track car has a 1.8T mid section and 2.8 rear box, so i guess you got the rear box off the TQS

thinking about it, i think i kept it and put it on my track car.

I had a 2.8Q system and a 1.8TQS system. Track car has a 1.8T mid section and 2.8 rear box, so i guess you got the rear box off the TQS

that will explain it. there is a 1.8TQS breaking up in Livingston I might get up there and have a look at the mid section that's on that.

I got the bonnet catch off it the other week but then had to make up a spacer as discovered there is a wee difference between the FL and PFL front panel and bonnet catch.

Lovely to see a 110 tdi afn engined a4 Quattro. They are as rare as hens teeth. Is your manifold pressure diverted to the ecu via a vacuum tube or is it read via a pressure sensor in the charge pipe?

Lovely to see a 110 tdi afn engined a4 Quattro. They are as rare as hens teeth. Is your manifold pressure diverted to the ecu via a vacuum tube or is it read via a pressure sensor in the charge pipe?
yea with it being an early one the manifold pressure sensor is on the ECU.
Ive been wondering If I can upgrade the loom and ECU and use the MK4 Golf / skoda Octavia loom and ECU as this would allow for live mapping.

but yea Im a lover of the old AFN 110 tdi lump so finding the quattro with this engine was a bonus.

I had been keeping my eyes open for one but had never seen any within my price range nor near me.
I had bid on one on eBay before I got this one. it was in Newcastle and had no MOT or tax so would have been a trailer job to get it home but it went higher than I was willing to pay.
I ended out getting this one a fair bit cheaper and it was 30 minutes along the road from me so wasn't to bad. plus it had a short mot so let me drive it home and get use of it.

the wife's got the Seat Leon and even she prefers driving the old Audi at times..

What's the Leon? Mk1?

Was the original turbo a gt15, vnt type? Your fuel pump is probably the same as mine and the main limitation in the quest for power.

I didn't realise our, mines and ahu 90bhp tdi Cordoba, weren't mappable. I have done the electronic boost bleed but I think the 3 bar map sensor might work better, the wiring can be adapted into the ecu and the sensor fitted to the charge pipe before the intercooler or was it after. I got rid if my leon a good while ago now.

There are a few other mods you can do in the meantime that should see you down to the 7-8 sec to sixty mark.

What's the Leon? Mk1?

Was the original turbo a gt15, vnt type? Your fuel pump is probably the same as mine and the main limitation in the quest for power.

I didn't realise our, mines and ahu 90bhp tdi Cordoba, weren't mappable. I have done the electronic boost bleed but I think the 3 bar map sensor might work better, the wiring can be adapted into the ecu and the sensor fitted to the charge pipe before the intercooler or was it after. I got rid if my leon a good while ago now.

There are a few other mods you can do in the meantime that should see you down to the 7-8 sec to sixty mark.

not sure what Mk the Leon is its a 15 plate 1.6tdi thing.. its blue... I don't even lift the bonnet of it.. its a mobility car so I have no interest in it.
shes talking about buying something new or nearly new next year when it goes back. I just know its trouble free motoring for the sake of our son as he spends a lot of time in and out of hospital so that's the main thing in my eyes.

but yea the MAP sensor on the later management is on the top hard plastic boost pipe just before the inlet manifold.

Yea it was the GT15 VNT turbo. ive fitted the one from a PD130 it has made a difference. it pulls stronger.
Ive got a set of .216 nozzles to go in. the ECU that's in the car has already been chipped by more-bhp.com they dont list the B5 any more on there site but when I spoke to the boy he says he can count on one hand how many he had done..

went for its yearly health check today..
got pulled up on the handbrake being tight to pull on but never failed it as it still works.
( it needs new cables )
got an advisory on an inner CV gator being perished so this will need done.
so its done 253 miles from last year...
My dads using it the now as his is off the road and he needs transport for getting back and forth to the hospital for his chemo