SATNAV and Speed Camera warnings

ACWKGYTO

Reaction score
Is there anyway of updating the SATNAV system to give audible warnings for Speed Cameras ?

I have the navigation plus with AMI

Or is it a case of using a separate device ?

Why dont Audi have it as standard ?

No way to give audible info but you can add speed camera locations as POI's.

No way to give audible info but you can add speed camera locations as POI's.

Yeah Ive seen that...want to do it properly or not at all....why dont they do it...no manufacturer built in satnav seems to have them

Can anyone prove me wrong ?

Probably because the main dealers want to keep on the good side of the Government and Driver Safety Partnership people...

If main dealers did do this then everybody would know where they are and loss of money in terms of fines etc. I remember NHN had a pretty solid reason around this point, I'm sure he'll be on and give his thoughts.

Reactions: NHN
They are happy to produce a car that does 0-60 in 5.5

If I lose my licence they lose a customer

Can see your point but they are a bunch of pussies ! :)

I certainly don't think VAG are a bunch of "pussies" for not adding a system you want to avoid being caught speeding, that logic IMHO is unsound, maybe try slowing down in the 1st place & the only person at fault for losing there license is the driver, not VAG.

As for the POI system, its pointless as above, without an audio warning then its a waste of programming.

The actual allowance of the system on nav units is not illegal it would seem as TomTom have talked to governments directly.

I'm guessing it's due to certain countries i.e France not allowing speed camera detectors so it's far easier to add it for people who need it than include it but remove it for the other end of the Eurostar?

Yeah Ive seen that...want to do it properly or not at all....why dont they do it...no manufacturer built in satnav seems to have them

Can anyone prove me wrong ?

Well my current Golf Mk6 with built in Sat Nav has Speed Camera location marked on the maps however no Audible Warning, and nobody to my knowlege has found a way to add the Auidable Warnings

My nexus satnav app counts the distance down, even in Europe. It's pretty cool but also, massively distracting. In England you cannot miss a speed camera, in Italy they look like power transformers on the side of the road. Didn't realise what they were (even with the satnav prompt) until I was a week into the holiday, how I didn't get a speeding ticket I will never know.

My phone (Nokia 920) has speed limits in the sat nav with a chime for exceeding - Tom toms do too. I find this useful for places I'm unfamiliar with. I think the things like Road Angel are a good idea - when I speed it's a calculated risk, but even the most attentive driver can miss a sign or sometimes a change in limits on a familiar road.