2017 Audi A3 diesel loud engine noise

Emily

Reaction score
Hi- my A3 Cabrio is coming to 6 months old in sept, the engine is becoming louder (only way to describe sounds like an old taxi!!! ) as time has gone on, I had a Citroen DS and it never sound this loud at 3 years old, it does happen a lot when it starts from cold? Anyone had any experience? Also finding out the car was manufactured in 06/2016 and I reg. it march 2017, it also seems to use a lot of fuel? Any advice would be really helpful, thanks in advance

I would suggest getting the injectors checked by the dealer - there may be a faulty one

Reactions: Emily
yeah i'd just take it back and ask them to investigate, and make sure you get a nice loaner :)

Reactions: Retroman
Funny that this thread has come up. My A3's engine (2.0 TDI) has been noticeably louder the past couple of days :( It also seems to be doing the regen thing more often than it probably needs... It's booked in with Audi soon so I'll mention it as well as the other faults! On top of this the gearbox is also sticking a bit when changing from 1st to 2nd gear

Difficult one to pin point really - the DS3 would of had the 1.6hdi engine which to be honest isn't to noisy of a Diesel engine, certainly far more refined than the VAG 1.6 diesel. However, the A3 cab is guess is the 2.0 diesel which should be fairly smooth.

The other thing to consider is winter diesel - I don't know when this starts making a appearance in U.K. Petrol stations, but it's slightly different to summer diesel. Winter diesel causes higher consumption and smells different.

Another thing to consider, Diesel engines noise levels are also on the very slight increase on newer cars, due to modern emissions equipment added - generally speaking but not true of all manufacturers.

Funny that this thread has come up. My A3's engine (2.0 TDI) has been noticeably louder the past couple of days :( It also seems to be doing the regen thing more often than it probably needs... It's booked in with Audi soon so I'll mention it as well as the other faults! On top of this the gearbox is also sticking a bit when changing from 1st to 2nd gear

I find the gearbox a bit notchy especially going from 1st to 2nd. I think I will get it checked out. It also seems to regen every week or so although it gets a run along the motorway almost every day.

Perhaps it's those near 20 ABS faults confusing the EXU ;) Can't recommend further!

never heard of there being winter and summer diesel??

every day is a school day

I find the gearbox a bit notchy especially going from 1st to 2nd. I think I will get it checked out. It also seems to regen every week or so although it gets a run along the motorway almost every day.
If you've got warranty, it's worth looking at it before it becomes an actual fault :) I do long motorway/country lane journeys every day for work but the regen happened four times on Wednesday!
Perhaps it's those near 20 ABS faults confusing the EXU ;) Can't recommend further!
Hahaha could be, my blasted Audi is a nightmare... Tyre pressure warning sensor is now intermittently coming on. Tyres are fine though :(

If you've got warranty, it's worth looking at it before it becomes an actual fault :) I do long motorway/country lane journeys every day for work but the regen happened four times on Wednesday!

Hahaha could be, my blasted Audi is a nightmare... Tyre pressure warning sensor is now intermittently coming on. Tyres are fine though :(

Check your pressures and store the new pressures in the MMI. Over time as your tyres wear you will get a warning because the diameter of the wheel changes, yes it's that sensitive!

The other thing to consider is winter diesel - I don't know when this starts making a appearance in U.K. Petrol stations, but it's slightly different to summer diesel. Winter diesel causes higher consumption and smells different.

Not really much of an issue in the UK these days. The legal requirements are different in Summer and Winter, but most UK suppliers now supply the same diesel fuel all year round which fully complies with the (tougher) Winter regulations.

In very cold climates, the composition of the fuel supplied may be different in Winter, but Winters in the UK aren't really cold enough to need a modified diesel fuel formulation.