2006 B7 A4 Cab 3.2 FSI Quattro manual what to look for

Tim Bolt

Reaction score
Hi
I'nm new to the forum and looking for some advice.
I'm looking to buy one of the above and wondered what the what to look out for items are on this car and engine combo?
I intend to use it for a 50 mile round trip commute that includes country lanes , M way and city driving and would plan to get it LPG converted.
Many thanks
Tim

Hi, mainly the 'death rattle'! Timing chain problems can be VERY expensive to fix. When you are looking at these make sure the engine preferably hasn't been started that day, and listen for a rattle at startup. Some say a 2 second startup rattle is normal, but mine (87,000 miles) doesn't rattle at all, even below zero degrees, so believe what you will about that. If the car is warm I would walk away or see another time when cold. Also, I wish I'd gone for an auto and possibly the 3.0 diesel (remapped). Even with 250 bhp, with all that extra weight it's a little lazy up hills and up motorway slip roads! I would also check the a/c is working, and check the hood goes up and down ok a few times. These cars sound great when you floor them tho...best of luck finding a good one! It took me a while...

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Really appreciate the input.
I've only ever had an auto box once in a car and it gave out big time at about 100k miles (Audio 80) so I've been put off them to be honest. Can I ask why you think they are preferable and are they as reliable and have as long a life as a manual?
Cheers
Tim

Hi, I'm not sure I like the clutch and the gearing on the manual. I drove an auto version and it seemed to get the power down a lot smoother and faster than the manual (although this could just be my crappy driving, or maybe the clutch is shot!). I didn't buy it as the seller lied and changed his story about the car and work being done - I didn't trust buying from him!

I've had mine for three and a half years , done 60k miles in that time with no issues.
They use a fair bit of oil , well mine does..
Mine is a manual and I v e never had an issue with the box or clutch.
Agree that they can take a while to pull but found a downshift helps , mine pulls very strongly right up to the red line at 6000rpm.
Front drivers window regulator is a common failing point as is the hydraulic roof motor brushes, I replaced my regulator but have never had an issue with the roof.
I don't suffer from the death rattle but am thinking of changing the timing chain and tensioners as mine has now done 150,000 miles.
Grips the road exceptionally in all conditions, and was great in the snow, never stuck even on steep hills.
Fuel economy is around 30 to 35 dependent on how you drive.