2004 A3 2.0tdi BKD cranks over but wont start,

Andy McT

Reaction score
Afternoon,
Recently purchased above car as a cheap daily driver, it’s just clocked 150k,have replaced clutch and dmf,full service,cam belt with associated parts,glow plugs,throttle body and still have egr valve,thermostat and coolant sensor to replace as fault codes stored for these. Have been driving it for a month since with no issues (including an 800 mile trip) but came home from work this week (30 miles) stopped to get some shopping and it wouldn’t start again, just cranked over. There are no unusual codes stored,and I have fuel to the fuel filter. Have rechecked cambelt timing -ok. It’s now sitting in the snow and I’m thawing out my feet. Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

New one fitted recently if that’s what it’s called

I had a similar problem with my 2005 bkd a3. It would struggle to start when the engine was warm. Turned out to be a crankshaft sensor. Cheap fix and upto now no problems when starting when warm.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It would I get a fault code stored for crank sensor'?

No water in fuel as far as I can see mate, crank pulley seems to be fine too. If I disconnect wiring harness to injectors and glow plugs it brings up fault codes so assume they’re ok. Cams turn over and can’t see any broken rockers. Hopefully compression tester will arrive this week. Just don’t under stand why it would run and then not start again but am thinking that it’s a mechanical issue rather than electrical as no fault codes are stored. Help !!

Won’t start with a squirt of easy start either btw

Crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor seem most likely. Have a read of the link below, its for the 1.9 but the basic functions are the same. If the crankshaft position sensor fails the engine will run based upon the camshaft sensor info but will not restart. If the camshaft sensor fails the ecu can't determine which piston is on the compression stroke so can't start the engine. You would hope these would throw fault codes but maybe not?
https://www.myarchive.us/richc/VW_TDI_with_PumpeDuse.pdf

Just done a compression test and have 13,11,12 and 7 bar. Anyone know what the figures for this engine should be please.

Scrub that, can’t believe it but the brand new asv had jammed shut causing it to non start, done about 1500 miles on it so am not impressed, but at leased it’s sorted now before I stripped the engine down thankfully. Cheers people

hi i have the same issue its turning over but not firing up. when i try it with easy start its fires then cuts out. please see the VCDS report please note this was just after changing the battery but still same problem. T.I.A

Attachments

• Log-GP54SRY-WAUZZZ8P05A106076-298040km-185193mi.txt
    23.4 KB · Views: 533