2004 2.0 TDI BKD Turbo loss of power

T

T8DPR

Took the car for a run for an hour or so, mixture of motorway and town, no problems at all climbing to 75-80 onto the motorway, usual trademark diesel black smoke cloud on heavy acceleration up to speed but all fine as I coasted along back at 65mph until I come off the motorway and stop at the roundabout, I set off from the roundabout but its clear there's no assistance from the turbo

It sounds exactly as it always has in my two years of ownership, I hear it spool up, but it just wasn't launching me forward as it usually does as the revs pass 1800-2000 ish

I was on my way back home anyway, so 5 miles of 30mph roads so light footed all the way

to clarify, no warning lights on the dash (they do work tho lol) and no "pop" or "bang" anywhere at all (2004, 106,000 miles)

please tell me it could be as simple as a loose hose off the turbo, cos I'd rather not have to spend £900+ to get a new one

Did it resolve itself after turning the car off and on again? If so then it's limp mode which could be for a variety of reasons.

If not it could be a loose hose or something mechanical gone properly wrong.

As SmithyAG said, did it sort itself out after being turned off and back on? My A3 used to do that when I was doing motorways trips and then it became more frequent. I had vagcom plugged in and confirmed that the turbo was overboosting. Then the turbo started making a police siren noise so didn't risk it and just purchased a new turbo. So far so good, it's not dropped into limp mode again.

you could try cleaning the turbo of all the soot that builds up in it, mr muscle worked on mine a couple of weeks ago after i was getting poor boost (mondeo tdi left me standing) my police siren noise has got alot quieter and it now pulls like a train

sorry for the late reply, it did sort itself out after being switched off, still been using it to go to work but I don't use any fast roads to work so I've just been taking it easy, it isn't making any suspicious noises though

going in for diagnostic on Friday, hopefully it'll just need a clean, in which case it'll be turbo off job because I want it done properly and thoroughly

An easy way to force this is to take it up a hill, full force on the throttle, if it's overboosting it will go into limp mode.

and if you have to replace the turbo, be glad you don't live in norway... Here a new turbo fitted costs 2200£ :p

given that its already happened at the weekend I'm not just gonna go do it again and cause it to limp, there's no point, the problem is already there

not to mention, i'll be able to see if there's any other underlying things to get sorted when its checked on friday

Could be something as simple as boost leak. If it seems to be kicking more black smoke out the back than normal then I'd say it's boost leak.