Facelift 2.0TFSI quattro (190PS) vs. S3

My previous car was a 2.0 petrol TT.
Loved it but needed room for the kids hence a sportback.
Went to the dealer with the intention of ordering an S3 and test drove a PFL and liked it.
Had a fit of Captain Sensible and decided my average commute in traffic didn't warrant 300hp.
I'm also of an age where I found it a bit harsh so would have ordered mag ride pushing the cost of higher.
I dismissed diesel as I love the once in a blue moon thrash to the red line.
Tried the 1.4 and liked it but just lacked a bit of go.
Ordered the 2.0 190 blind, and find it the perfect compromise.
Almost diesel torque for day to day, and smooth to the end of the dial.
Silent when cruising but a decent noise on full throttle.
I've also had 46mph on a 60 mile gentle run.
Spent the difference on the S3 price on options ( I know I lose at trade in time but I have exactly the car I wanted and that's the point when you buy new).
I've read some of the posts in favour of more torque in the top diesel and that's absolutely fair comment but I do think some of this is directed more at the very lazy 7th gear than the lack of engine flexibility (no offence intended).
Anyway, I know my purchase is a little unusual on the forum but I remain delighted with the car.

I second this mentality.

If you don't need 300hp, even if it is a pretty good deal, I wouldn't go for it.

I disagree with those who said that the right question isn't S3 vs. A3 2.0T190 but S3 vs. 1.4COD. While I understand the rationale for this statement, fact is A3 2.0T 190 (or 220 in the US) is already at an acceleration level of what most people need. The 1.4 COD is noticeably slower so it does not satisfy as many. While the S3 is no doubt even quicker than the 2.0T190, but it is already at a level of overkill IMHO.

The right question is...what YOU NEED and/or WANT.

Cheers guys. Certainly provides a new perspective. Well I don't think anyone needs 300BHP in the Uk...? The S5 has been hands down the best car I have ever driven. I absolutely love it. Having said that, there were plenty of moments when I used to commute to work where I sat in traffic or average speed cameras and thought it was the biggest waste of money, because 90% of the time I could barely get over 40MPH....

I now commute by train, so probably do about...50mi per week? In all likely hood my GF will start using it more. So while I certainly don't need an S3, given both side by side, I would pick it. But captain sensible does have a good point...!

Im going to ring a few dealers and see what I can do. It's achievable to get the A3 2.0T on £350pm with my S5 as trade, but I'll feel like it's a much better deal if I can make it a S3....

Reactions: pburv, Brumbrum1, richinsoton and 1 other person
If the S5 truly is the best car you have had then keep it and avoid the loss making pcp early departure merry-go-round we all find ourselves on.
Using it less will only make it more special when you get the chance.

Reactions: gamegenie, Gordo77 and DrEskimo
Finding a car you really bond with is difficult (or it has been for me).
If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
You may end up regretting it and in car buying terms that regret costs £000's to put right.

Reactions: Gordo77 and DrEskimo
If the S5 truly is the best car you have had then keep it and avoid the loss making pcp early departure merry-go-round we all find ourselves on.
Using it less will only make it more special when you get the chance.

That's probably the sensible solution.

But....I've emailed my dealer and given my final offer....

S3 hatchback S-Tronic Black Edition with metallic paint, rear sensors and folding door mirrors, for my S5 at £360pm over 36months. Roughly 15% discount, which they can push to from their original 14.5% I feel...!

Will see what they say....

Reactions: TDI-line, pburv and Gordo77

S3 hatchback S-Tronic Black Edition with metallic paint, rear sensors and folding door mirrors, for my S5 at £360pm over 36months. Roughly 15% discount, which they can push to from their original 14.5% I feel...!

Nice one! Good to reverse things around and put the ball back in their court. A bit like "deal or no deal" !! Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: pburv and DrEskimo

0-5% extra discount aint gonna make any difference mate just wait...another 6/8 months or so.....the quotes l have been given for the saloon are woeful..ranging from £2k to £3k on a £45k car..l am just going to keep my car until the RS3 comes.....and keep the thing

Reactions: keenu, TDI-line and pburv
Right....decision time...

Managed to haggle the discount to 14.7% on a S3 Hatchback S-Tonic BE in Daytona Grey, with folding mirrors and rear sensors.

With my S5 + £500 I can get it for £366 per month over 36months....

Thoughts?

Doc, go with your heart. If you go with your mind you will never buy another car. The laundry list for the mind is huge, depreciating value, costs to run, is it a necessity etc.
I just ordered an S3 and if I had gone with a rational decision. I would have said no...buy a bicycle, a bus pass and use a taxi when needed.

Reactions: keenu, TDI-line, pburv and 1 other person
£380, but that was £6k down...

Come on Craig...give me my much needed dose of reality...!

Everyone's reality is different if you can afford it,**** why not....Craig is not really the person to ask anyways......lol

Reactions: CookD and pburv
Just think how easy it's going to be parking your S3 compared to your huge S5.....
Well that's my input for what it's worth...:whistle2:
As jassy says...If you can afford it............

Reactions: Jassyo06

Managed to haggle the discount to 14.7% on a S3 Hatchback S-Tonic BE in Daytona Grey, with folding mirrors and rear sensors.

Thoughts?

Spec is a bit basic mate...no privacy...gotta have that with the BSP

Reactions: pburv
Spec is a bit basic mate...no privacy...gotta have that with the BSP

BE comes with the black styling, not so nice looking alloys, B&O and privacy glass :)

Reactions: TDI-line and Jassyo06
Everyone's reality is different if you can afford it,**** why not....Craig is not really the person to ask anyways......lol

Just think how easy it's going to be parking your S3 compared to your huge S5.....
Well that's my input for what it's worth...:whistle2:
As jassy says...If you can afford it............

Cheers lads! Affordability isn't and issue, cheaper than the S5 in terms of costs and petrol and insurance and tax!

It's as Pburv puts it...much easier to park!

My S5 deal is up less than 6months after this would be ready to collect anyway, so have to think about what to do next either now, or in a few months time....!

BE comes with the black styling, not so nice looking alloys, B&O and privacy glass :)

****** minted....mate just do it....another question mark....Daytona....cough cough....lol...Ara????

Reactions: pburv and DrEskimo
****** minted....mate just do it....another question mark....Daytona....cough cough....lol...Ara????

Ha yea...the mrs was trying to get me to go Ara...then I told her Ibis was free and she started saying how she's warming to a white car....!

Daytona all day for me :)

Cheers lads! Affordability isn't and issue, cheaper than the S5 in terms of costs and petrol and insurance and tax!

It's as Pburv puts it...much easier to park!

My S5 deal is up less than 6months after this would be ready to collect anyway, so have to think about what to do next either now, or in a few months time....!

Road Tax.....April1st...???

Thoughts?
Dooooooooo it! :rock:

Road Tax.....April1st...???

Most likely get it by Feb. But if Audi take the first year tax, it would actually be £45 a year cheaper...

Big if....

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Ha yea...the mrs was trying to get me to go Ara...then I told her Ibis was free and she started saying how she's warming to a white car....!

Daytona all day for me :)

Frank 01

Ara must be bad for your lungs....I'm with Doc's missus.......
Go with white and spend the money on some techie goodies or Privacy glass
Amen.. although I am still considering Ara blue haha :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv

Jck

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Jay.Ing and CookD
So the only other extra I'm very tempted to add is the advance key. Think it would work better with both me and the Ms Eskimo driving it....

Any thoughts about whether it's worth the extra £400? Would likely just pay an extra £400 upfront.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
So the only other extra I'm very tempted to add is the advance key. Think it would work better with both me and the Ms Eskimo driving it....

Any thoughts about whether it's worth the extra £400? Would likely just pay an extra £400 upfront.

Iakns

Reactions: TDI-line and pburv

Spend the £400 on painting the brake calipers...lol
Seriously though why would A/K work better for you and her indoors?

Before you all go "advanced key bashing", it's probably worth pointing out that the article linked above uses the american naming convention for keyless entry, that being a remote fob that you press buttons on to open the car.

This is why it talks about cars from 1995 onwards!

"The attack works by “eavesdropping” on the signal sent when a driver presses their key fob to unlock their car."

Pressing my fob? That's for peasants ;)

Also:

"The researchers said the only exceptions were cars built on VW’s latest MQB production platform, which is used in its top selling model, the Golf VII, which the researchers found does not have the flaw."

Reactions: GSB, DrEskimo and pburv
Yea...my car is at the same risk whether you press a button to start or whether you insert a key. They either break open and disable the alarm from the OBD port and code a new key, or block the signal as you lock it with the fon and then code a key through the OBD port.

Not much I can do with that, hence why I get GAP.

My question was because the config says the key will also remember settings for each key? Can the standard key do this and is it actually something worth having? Ideally I want something like the convenience package that I could get on my S5 where it also remembers set position and wing mirror position...

Yea...my car is at the same risk whether you press a button to start or whether you insert a key. They either break open and disable the alarm from the OBD port and code a new key, or block the signal as you lock it with the fon and then code a key through the OBD port.

Not much I can do with that, hence why I get GAP.

My question was because the config says the key will also remember settings for each key? Can the standard key do this and is it actually something worth having? Ideally I want something like the convenience package that I could get on my S5 where it also remembers set position and wing mirror position...
Yes the car will have different settings stored for each key.....(standard fob)

I believe the mirrors have a memory also, as this is what you edit in VCDS to code in reverse-dip, I think...

Before you all go "advanced key bashing", it's probably worth pointing out that the article linked above uses the american naming convention for keyless entry, that being a remote fob that you press buttons on to open the car.

This is why it talks about cars from 1995 onwards!

"The attack works by “eavesdropping” on the signal sent when a driver presses their key fob to unlock their car."

Pressing my fob? That's for peasants ;)

Also:

"The researchers said the only exceptions were cars built on VW’s latest MQB production platform, which is used in its top selling model, the Golf VII, which the researchers found does not have the flaw."

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that last point.

Still, since VAG spent a lot of time, effort and money trying to hide the problem through injunctions and other legal action, and have a proven reputation for being a little unfamiliar with the truth, I'll stick with the combination of mechanical and electronic defences, rather than electronic alone. Criminals are clever sods, and they recognise risk. They'd far prefer an easy theft carried out by walking up to a car and quietly driving it away than one that involves broken glass, hammers, chisels and waiting for laptops to boot up.