2.0TDI - Anyone had a remap ?

• Thread starter imported_Spin140
  • Start date
Ha ha, er no. Trish has seem to have forgot. Anyway, I'm getting it done on the 29th, and will post my copy here.

I have a superchipped PD140.

It put out 153 and 155 bhp standard on two totally different RRs.

Superchip has me at a claimed 194bhp - got it done last week. Driving normally the MPG is better, I filled from empty straight after the chip a week and a day ago and I still have a 1/3 of a tank of diesel left so I will let you know what I get but before the remap 420-450 was the norm out of a tank (I'm 23 and still have a bit of a boy racer head left in me!).

Bit of clutch slip when the engine is cold is my only problem, happens from 3rd up.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a superchipped PD140.

It put out 153 and 155 bhp standard on two totally different RRs.

Superchip has me at a claimed 194bhp - got it done last week. Driving normally the MPG is better, I filled from empty straight after the chip a week and a day ago and I still have a 1/3 of a tank of diesel left so I will let you know what I get but before the remap 420-450 was the norm out of a tank (I'm 23 and still have a bit of a boy racer head left in me!).

Bit of clutch slip when the engine is cold is my only problem, happens from 3rd up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another convert, It is a totally different experience isn't it? Never had clutch slip though!

Regards

another guy who lives in Ireland has just had his car S/C and he claims exactly the same power (194bhp) and also suffers the occasional clutch slip, I'm just guessing here but as me and Broadmarsh had both our cars done at the HQ and have similar total power outputs and I too have no clutch slip we may have recieved a 'milder' re-map, the guys at S/Chips have confirmed they can tweak the actual map to suit, I am extremely pleased with the results, as an ego boost it would be tempting to have the extra power but I don't want the acompanying 'slip' issue, thanks for the previous advice Broadmarsh I certainly don't regret it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
another guy who lives in Ireland has just had his car S/C and he claims exactly the same power (194bhp) and also suffers the occasional clutch slip, I'm just guessing here but as me and Broadmarsh had both our cars done at the HQ and have similar total power outputs and I too have no clutch slip we may have recieved a 'milder' re-map, the guys at S/Chips have confirmed they can tweak the actual map to suit, I am extremely pleased with the results, as an ego boost it would be tempting to have the extra power but I don't want the acompanying 'slip' issue, thanks for the previous advice Broadmarsh I certainly don't regret it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind betting that if you put all the cars that have been remapped by Superchips (or any other tuner come to that) on the same rolling road on the same day with the same air temperature and humidity, that they would come out with as near as damn it very similar figures. How do I know this, well, some years ago, I worked on the Rolls Royce RB199 engine in the Tornado aircraft, and I was part of the MOD team that had to contractually accept the engines from the manufacturer after they were built. Because the engines needed to be within design spec to be accepted, we had to find a away to defign a "standard" to accept them. We therefore adopted a procedure where an engine (to a given modification standard) was tested at Rolls Royce and the power output was accepted as the "Standard". This engine was called a "Calibration Engine". This engine was then taken round the Engine Test Houses (ETHs) and the ETHs were then finely calibrated to ensure we were measuring like with like. Even using this refined method, there were some discrepancies, but it worked.

Also it is a fact, that Superchips do a "standard remap" on all the same ECUs, that is unless it smokes too much on the test, then they have to tweak it a little to correct it. I think you will find that most tuners do a similar thing. If you look elsewhere on this forum, you will find comments such as "when is a custom remap not a custom remap". I am sure you will find that most use a standard remap with a bit of fine tuning, depending on the customers needs. However, they cannot depart too much from the accepted straight and narrow, as agreed with the insurers, otherwise they would have a problem with obtaining coverage in case of engine failure.

Just to point out I am that other guy in Ireland with the 194bhp!!

I'm called "Irish" on uk-mkivs.net...!

Mark_N
Glad your happy with the S/Chips upgrade.
You were interested originally in the Upsolute way, but they were ages getting the equipment. Have you or your freinds any experience, good or bad with Upsolute chipping ?.

Just trying to get a feel for how good / reputable they are.

Cheers
J

[ QUOTE ]
Wooohoooo! sorry seem to have upset you a little there, I'm no engineer and not in the habit of advertising my qualifications or name dropping previous projects as you seem very happy to do, just merely referring to my own personal experience and passing on what I have been told by the 'proffesionals' whose service I employed. Life should never be this serious - Broadmarsh take a chill pill my friend no offence was intended on any of my postings whereas the use of capitals can only be deemed as rude behaviour on your part.

Take another look at my previous post and you may percieve it differently once you have cooled down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...so you came off the worse in this discussion, and this is the way you react...hardly surprising....these days. You have made my day!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Ha Ha you seemed to have lightened up, even a little humour in this response!
whats with the aggression today, maybe that hat you had to eat has given you indigestion ?!?

One of the many downsides of E-mail as opposed to open discussion is it can often be mis-interpreted, on the upside there is no doubt it will raise a few smiles from other members /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Time for us both to smile & talk another day.

Cheers :)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif That made me smile.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers Broadmarsh will take alook at the site you suggested but for now..I'm off home after the daily grind so have a good easter break.

[ QUOTE ]
Just to add to 2p...

While of course you can bring all sorts of engineering fact into it, in the much simpler scheme of things, VAG engines, particulary TDIs it would seem are very hard to get right on the button at what the stock figure claims so to say all the engines are the same output wise I think is a little bit of an assumption...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now careful Mark you'll set Broadmarsh off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Appreciating the superchip more & more each day, one happy chappy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh boy, TDI-Line your avatars is nice. Saved my day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

googoo.gif

Just had the following response from Jamie at superchips

Hi Matt,

In response to the spread of rumours on the DSG box that seem to have some foundation we are dropping the torque increase on our modified files to a safer level. We are awaiting a car at Buckingham before we publish the power and torque curves but we are aiming to gain 35-40Nm and maintain the power gains higher up.

Regards,

Jamie Turvey

Technical Director

Superchips Ltd

Sorry if this info has been posted before.

Madness...

More than half the price with Superchips, you can extend their 12 month guarantee to 24 months and they give you more power.

[ QUOTE ]
More than half the price with Superchips, you can extend their 12 month guarantee to 24 months and they give you more power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes completely agree.....

youre right about the price madness but abt is the best place in our country to get this done.

regrdless of the price please comment the other facts of the package.

ps we dont have superchips etc here so its a bit of a problem for me to get done here.

and I havent heard good things either of our local revo dealers trial and error experiments they totally ruined a coopers S here!

facts and pdf info here please have a look if you have time:

http://80.81.7.110/default.asp?ID=269&Par1=649&Shop=1