2.0T fsi vibrations

Roadrunner146

Reaction score
Just started to do this. There is a low revs vibration with extra noise to boot.

Its there from cold, and is less noticeable the higher revs I go.

I am hoping its an engine mount and not the flywheel.

Has anyone had a similar issue.

The cars done 86k.

Thanks in advance

Brad.

Is this present when stationary?

Had a tensioner vibrating more than usual before, but depends on the noise tbh.

Its like a low hum, also a little harsh.

What are the signs for imminent failure of the flywheel.

Brad

Last edited:
Need to take it in mate as cant diagnose over the net really tbh.

I am the sort of person who fixes cars myself. A sort of hobby mechanic.
I have changed dualmass and clutch on a Bora diesel before.
I have also built a kitcar with a ZX10r engine which had to have the gearbox internals changed, by me of course.
Its a cost saving thing.

Then need to get your ears inside the bay mate & get those fingers oily :p

+1 with Razza on that flywheel diagnosis. Do you feel the vibrartion when you rev it up in neutral? Does the noise change when you press in the clutch? A knackered flywheel imo is most noticeable in first and second when accelerating. Not heard of a Flwheel going on petrol A4's....plenty on the oil burners though.

Keep us informed.

BR
A

Thanks for the info fellas .
I have been reading up on flywheels , and to be honest I don't think It's that.
I have had a proper run in it yesterday and today. Noticed that the windscreen struggled to clear.
The harsh vibrations are all the way up the rev range. There is no issues with starting , setting off or changing gear, and power is as normal for a car that needs the diverter valve changing.
The car does seem to judder a bit more than normal on tick over, but I do know that the 2.0t rummbles like an oil burner on tick over.
But just this morning went to work, came home, ran family around town, popped in to Tescos and when I came out the battery was dead flat, no warnings at all. New one already fitted. Don't know if old one was faulty or there was no charge getting to it, as no warning light came up.
Anyway, time will tell.

Brad.

+1 with Razza on that flywheel diagnosis. Do you feel the vibrartion when you rev it up in neutral? Does the noise change when you press in the clutch? A knackered flywheel imo is most noticeable in first and second when accelerating. Not heard of a Flwheel going on petrol A4's....plenty on the oil burners though.

Keep us informed.

BR
A
It does vibrate when stationary, and when you blip the throttle in neutral and there is no difference in sound or feel when pressing clutch pedal.

Jaysus Matey.....your not having an easy time of it ar you?:o.k: Can't give an answer to the demisting issue,although it is winter and I know the UK has had lots of lovely rain these past few weeks. I would try and take it your car to a good indy garage that is recmmended by some of the forum chaps in your area, they should straight away, diagnose if your flywheel is shot or not and generally put your mind at ease. You mentione you changed the battery already.....I take it you had battery checked that it was the fault and not an aletrnator issue.

Good Luck,
A

Right, I have a bit more info.

The vibrations feel slower the lower the revs. It's more of a judder through the cabin at tick over, and the noise on the move sounds like the exhaust is blowing somewhere , when I know it's not.

The misting problem is worse now the weather has turned. It seems their is no air flow through the top dash vent when I set the controls to demist.
Has anyone suffered this problem before.

These two problems do seem to have started at the same time.

Thanks again,
Brad.

I managed to get under the car this weekend after the snow all melted.

I had managed to drag off the p/s under cover half off while having a spot of fun in a deserted car park, making it act like a snow shovel.

Anyway. Started to check engine mounts and I found the front mount resting on the bottom of the cup. So the cup was adjusted to suit.
Put a jack under engine with timber and started to lift engine to see if any movement was present in side mounts. Both seem ok, but if I was to be picky, I would say the P/S mount lifted twice the distance of the D/S mount.

I pulled the belt tensioner out as this seemed to be moving quite a lot on tickover. But all seemed well.

Vibration has reduced, but still there a tad. When money is a little freer er I will replace P/S mount and report back.

Brad.

I managed to get under the car this weekend after the snow all melted.

I had managed to drag off the p/s under cover half off while having a spot of fun in a deserted car park, making it act like a snow shovel.

Anyway. Started to check engine mounts and I found the front mount resting on the bottom of the cup. So the cup was adjusted to suit.
Put a jack under engine with timber and started to lift engine to see if any movement was present in side mounts. Both seem ok, but if I was to be picky, I would say the P/S mount lifted twice the distance of the D/S mount.

I pulled the belt tensioner out as this seemed to be moving quite a lot on tickover. But all seemed well.

Vibration has reduced, but still there a tad. When money is a little freer er I will replace P/S mount and report back.

Brad.

hi there - I am a mere newbie, but i have a similar problem. i only just bought my 2.0t fsi a4 avant 2007 and experienced misfire/judder almost straight away.

i was told about the coil pack recall and apparently this is what could be causing it for me. it's in the dealer tomorrow for free replacement of all coils and a full diagnostic free of charge

i called 0800 699 888 , they told me i was eligible straight away, put me through to the local dealer and it was booked straight in

worth a shot? apparently its more than a little common and a widely known fault?

I had this issue when i bought my car, would get a clunk when changing gear at speed. Checked the snub mount and it was resting on the bottom of the cup as above, the mount was also worse for wear so i adjusted the cup and ordered a poly mount for the snub.

After a month of steady driving the poly mount turned up, when i fitted it i noticed the cupnwas at the bottom of the adjuster slots. Fitted it all back together and seemed fine, it wasn't til 2 months later when i fitted a clutch i tilted the front of the engine up with a jack to allign the box and noticed the mounts were lifting.

When i dropped the mounts off the bottom parts had completely cracked off and lower portion had collapsed, this caused the engine to drop and made it vibrate. Fitted a pair of new mounts and re alligned the snub mount cup and it was far better.

hi there - I am a mere newbie, but i have a similar problem. i only just bought my 2.0t fsi a4 avant 2007 and experienced misfire/judder almost straight away.

i was told about the coil pack recall and apparently this is what could be causing it for me. it's in the dealer tomorrow for free replacement of all coils and a full diagnostic free of charge

i called 0800 699 888 , they told me i was eligible straight away, put me through to the local dealer and it was booked straight in

worth a shot? apparently its more than a little common and a widely known fault?

Thanks for the number Edge, I had been thinking of ringing Audi to see if my coils had already been done.
My issues isnt coil pack related, Iv'e had these go before on previous cars. But thanks for the info all the same.

Brad.

I had this issue when i bought my car, would get a clunk when changing gear at speed. Checked the snub mount and it was resting on the bottom of the cup as above, the mount was also worse for wear so i adjusted the cup and ordered a poly mount for the snub.

After a month of steady driving the poly mount turned up, when i fitted it i noticed the cupnwas at the bottom of the adjuster slots. Fitted it all back together and seemed fine, it wasn't til 2 months later when i fitted a clutch i tilted the front of the engine up with a jack to align the box and noticed the mounts were lifting.

When i dropped the mounts off the bottom parts had completely cracked off and lower portion had collapsed, this caused the engine to drop and made it vibrate. Fitted a pair of new mounts and re aligned the snub mount cup and it was far better.

What you have suffered olethalb sounds like what I am hoping is wrong with mine.
If I get chance this weekend, I will whip out the P/S mount, as that looks to me to be the main culprit.

Brad

Sorry its been a while replying back.

Had the p/s mount out and checked, but all seemed fine, tried to remove d/s mount, but its a PITA to get to the top nut so left it.

At the end of the day, its only me that notices the extra vibration. So I am going to live with it for now, dont wont to be spending money just yet when the 90thou service is due.

On a positive note. I fixed the diverter valve problem.
Not disappointed with its performance now.:)