2.0 TFSI Balance Shaft and Oil Pump Failure

Jonathanc1990

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the fourm, apologies if this has been done to death on other posts. I am looking for recommendations for parts please.

I have a 2.0 a4 avant tsfi b7 SE Quattro 2007 with 122k on the clock.

Long story short I have been chasing a vibration / misfire for several weeks I am now at a point where I don’t want to get rid of the car because of the parts and maintenance I’ve recently had done. I’ve spent just over 1700 on a timing belt, clutch, flywheel, coil packs, plugs, service, brakes, suspension arms, rear springs, cv joints... the list goes on. Some of this work was done by myself but I left the timing belt to the professionals.

To my frustration none of the above solved my vibration / misfire issue, I recently tried another mechanic, by this time the vibration that was previously showing at 3.5k revs + was now occurring all the way through the Rev range and a rattle could be heard on tick over making it easier to diagnose.

He has just stripped the car today and has found a broken balance shaft, badly worn oil pump drive and broken teeth on the sprocket where the oil pump chain runs.

From what I have read this looks to be a common problem upto 2008 b7s. Previous posts on this topic were rather old and generally only new engines were mentioned with people mostly suggesting that it was game over.

The engine was still running well and the car has been driving well even with this with vibration for several months. Was still driving well just before he stripped it. No oil pressure warning lights at all and the mechanic said the oil pump shaft was wedged so it was still pumping (luckily).

Does anyone know what the best route forward would be and what I have in store price wise ?

I am looking for parts recommendations, does anywhere sell full kits or carry out refurbishments?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Hi,i have almost the same issue but i havo no oil pressure,at idle with warm engine.no oil warning comes out.i fitted an oil pressure gauge and saw the pressure issue.now i bought an 1.8 engine oil pump conversion kit with balance shaft delete.i will fit it the next week if i will find time to do it.then i will let you know

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi Thank you for the quick reply, do you have a link for the kit you bought? What impact does removing the balance shaft have? Cheers

Should not have negative impact,only benefits

Yess.a new oil pump unit costs around 1800e,and it will still fail after some k km.

I choose this one.

Is there any way of inspecting the existing parts for wear, or any sort of early warning signs?

Me? BWE... no reason to suspect anything but if it's something I can check out, I will.

Nope. Is that the only give-away it's on its way out?

Hi,i just installed the 1.8t conversion kit.still had low oil pressure at idle with hot engine.

Than replaced the 1.8t oil puley with the stock puley ,and now looks like is ok

Welcome to the oil pump failure club.... most seem to go around 100k if they’ve been subject to long life oil servicing.

My pump died at 99k so swapped in a KMB 1.8t pump, i think my main error was not to change the big end bearings at the same time. I needed a new turbo core too due to the oil starvation.

450 miles later the low oil pressure warning came on at idle but went at higher revs. Next there was a bang, smoke and a hole in the block.
4A709D03 72B0 4C98 BBBC D8F9B88F4CC1

Ended up buying a recon engine and another turbo core.
The recon engine company state oil changes every 3500 miles for the warranty.

Very regular oil changes seem to be the way forward, my friend runs a scrap yard and see’s quite a few TFSI’s come in a few hundred miles after a an oil service, fresh oil seems to release gunk/debris from the oil galleries, blocks the pick up, kills the oil pump.

The only con of the deleted balance shafts is some increased vibration in the cabin and throughout the car. I have an extra 2.0T pump that I pulled from my motor. Perfect working condition, you only need a new pickup tube.

The 1.8T conversion requires some work and I believe you have to drill and tap new holes into some part of your oil system. Mine came out of BPG engine.

Hope you get it figured out.

Edgar

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Yes,need to fit a relief valve in a hole,i allready had the m10 tap in it.i can supply a guide if someone needs it

Yes,need to fit a relief valve in a hole,i allready had the m10 tap in it.i can supply a guide if someone needs it

Hi Guys, I know this is last year's post, but I really need help with regards to oil pressure on these 2.0 tfsi engines.

Csaby1973, you are the only person that I find on the internet who speaks about fitting a relieve in the hole which is drilled out on the block. I have had a theory about this in the sense that, why does a person need to change the entire 2.0 tfsi oil filter housing to the 1.8t setup when surely a simple enough solution like fitting a oil pressure relief valve in place where you drilled to screw in a bolt for the 1.8t oil pump.

please Csaby1973, could you kindly point me in the right direction, as to which oil pressure relieve valve I can put in that drilled out hole and which tap to use and so forth.

my original oil pump with the balance shafts seized up, completely destroying cyl 1 and 4 main bearings,

i'll say again I know this is quite an old post, but please I need HELP

Hi,i will try to find the pdf guide and send it to you.