2.0 TDI (BRE engine) - Hesitation when engine is 'warm'...

c3nturi0n

Reaction score
hi guys,

i have developed slight issues with mine or at least i think it is an issue... when cold my car pulls really nicely albeit when it hits 1800ish rpm it judders which is something i will investigate separately. Really annoying but does not bother me that much.

However when temp reaches optimal working one i notice considerable hesitation when moving off from stationary position. I even tried it on parking and feel that accelerator almost has too much 'slack'. On cold it is fine... when warm - really sluggish.

Now... auto gearbox has been serviced with new oil and filter 2k ago by Audi Bedford plus the flywheel was also replaced by the Audi (thx to previous owner). DPF seems fine as well as MAF (two obvious culprits) plus the fact that there are no lights on the dash and nothing to report on VCDS i'm bit struggling to determine where to look at.

Any hints... i can do VCDS scan but do not know where to search so directions guidance would be welcomed :(?

Last edited:
I think you'll find it may not be a problem with the engine, but rather that is just the way the gearbox behaves (even when in good condition)... my experience with multitronics is that they lag and lag and lag and lag (and lag some more) and then boom, you're off!

I can recall at least a handful of close calls where I tried to pick a gap in traffic in my old A4 multi, jumped on the go pedal, and the car was all "hold please while I connect your call", followed by some creeping panic as the gap closes, followed by madly gripping the wheel as you torque-steer your way to victory :)

If nothing is showing up under VCDS, there is probably not much you can do (i.e. its not "broken" in the traditional sense) ... which sucks, but is also good in that you don't have to throw money at it (yet). Or, if you are unlucky, it may be an early sign of the gearbox control unit falling over (mine did, yielding the lovely PRNDS of doom).

cheers Fishy... i thought that i wasn't subscribing to (a lot) of unknown when i bought this one but guess I'm no the only one if that is any sense of consolation.

Is there anything i cold try... e.g. such as electronics reset as i've heard that M'tronics supposedly 'learn their way' with the use hence operate in specific mode so to speak depending on vehicle's use?

as for VCDS... anything I could proactively check for signs of 'to be worried'? Alternative is always to spend that 40ish and do a featured add in AT :).