2.0 tdi 150 Fuel Consumption

Steve.M

Reaction score
Hi,

I have taken delivery of a brand new A4 SE Technik 150 tdi multitronic. Having come from VW's previously I am generally pleased with the car, but the fuel consumption is not very good so far. I have just driven to Dundee and back from Peterborough, and only averaged 42 to the gallon. I know the engine is still a bit tight (just taken to 3000 miles), but I was hoping for closer to 50mpg still. My 60 plate CC would average 56 on this trip (with a heavier foot), I did not have a heavy right foot on this trip deliberately.

Am I a bit too keen for good mpg or is the claimed 58 combined mpg a myth?

I have a new A4 2.0 Tdi 177 and I have started using FUELLY https://www.fuelly.com/ my best tank has been 50.5 mpg and my last one was 45.5 but I am still getting used to it so over time im hoping this will go up and not down ....

My best single trip mpg was 54 mpg on a 120 mile trip 99% or the trip on cruse control.

For my car the in car mpg has almost been spot on.

Quick Update: Now have 5,000 miles clocked up and still very poor consumption figures. Best 42.3, average 39.1, I have worked these figures out tank to tank and they are very similar to the trip computer. I have been driving like a Saint to try to improve the figures, but no luck. Audi want me to clock up 10K and see what happens then, but it is costing a fortune!

Any one else in the same boat? or do I have a duff'n?

You have 2 issues I think,
1. It's a new car which doesn't usually help and
2. It's Decmember and anybody who drives a diesel knows fuel economy is worse in the winter because of the temperatures so cars take longer to warm up and have more electrical loads and winterised diesel doesn't give you the same mpg as normal diesel.
However I would say that the fuel economy does seem poor when related to the official figures

Select a search : Directgov - Car fuel data, CO2 and vehicle tax tools

I assume you have checked tyre pressures and the like, better to set these on the high side indeed it seems the book these days seems to recommend setting them to the fully loaded pressures for normal driving 1 or two up.

Karl.

Thanks Karl,

But......................most (90%) journeys are one up, drive a minimum of 40 miles at cruising speeds (most journeys much more), tyres are brand new/pressures OK. Haven't had a really hard frost yet this year, so able to set off almost immediately and have tried turning off all anciliaries with no improvements made.

I appreciate that the multitronic/cv puts a bit more of a strain than a 'standard' auto box, but what I am achieving is WAY off the claimed figures for my model.

Think I may camp out at Audi garage before much longer.

Now that I have completed 12 full tanks ( now onto tank 13 ) I have an idea of my mpg .... when working I travel single journeys of either 85 miles each way to work and back or 123 miles each way to work and back and on those weeks my average is settling on between 45 to 48 mpg and on the weeks I have had off work just doing small journeys I seem to be getting 35 to 37 mpg, now I know my car is not the same as yours I would have thought you would be doing better than I am most of my journey to work is dual carriageway/motorway so its almost all cruse control ( I know this is not always the most efficient way ) I do not have AC on all the time just when needed.

my book mpg is meant to be 55.4 but I am not expecting to get that as I don't want to remove my wing mirrors or tape up the windows :)

I have managed one tank at 50.5 mpg but that was painful ... I just cant drive that slow :)

Hi Anthony, Is yours manual or S'tronic? 45 - 48 on the trip to work seems OK, as a percentage of the claimed MPG it is certainly better than mine.

I have just completed a very steady round trip of 256 miles averaging 55-60 mph. The computer has recorded 41.8 mpg (which I think is extremely poor), but I will need to brim tank and test again.

Hi Anthony, Is yours manual or S'tronic? 45 - 48 on the trip to work seems OK, as a percentage of the claimed MPG it is certainly better than mine.

I have just completed a very steady round trip of 256 miles averaging 55-60 mph. The computer has recorded 41.8 mpg (which I think is extremely poor), but I will need to brim tank and test again.

Hi Steve,

Mine is manual, I have been using fuelly to record my fill ups and calculate my mileage and costs I have been told by a number of people that the mileage will improve as the car is run in.

I used Fuelly as I kept cocking up the calculation when trying to do it long hand :) fingers crossed yours settles down asap.