Timing Pull on an S3?

M

mjr901

My OBD2 Wifi Dashcommand shows 'Timing' in degrees.

Could someone please tell me what value it should be showing? (given current state of car, see sig)

Must be an expert on here somewhere!

I have googled it a fair bit but still can't find the values (in degrees) that I'm looking for.

My idle sits around -2 degrees

Driving at a steady 50mph in 6th gear it's telling me it's +14 degrees. (it goes to +28 occasionally, albeit very briefly!)

Upon nailing it, say 3rd gear, it pulls back to -4 degrees.

Whats it's supposed to be on during a normal drive for example? Flat road steady 50mph?

Log journey 1^^

Log journey 2^^

2 x 10 minute stints, with hard fast driving and also calm driving.

The extreme values tend to be on lift off.

Intake G/S is slightly low, guessing the hot weather affects this alot at the moment. Will test that again in cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mjr907,

Looking at you'er graph it looks ok! You'er car should if standard pull 0-0 timing! With a file loaded on to you'er ECU it should be 0-0 but it could pull some timing too! You will only be in dangerous territory when you are pulling more then -3 timing! Everything above -3 will be potentially dangerous! Remember seeing you have done this very recently you should take the weather in to consideration and probably why you pulling 2.5 on you'er timing which is still save!

Hope this helped!

Hi buddy,

the -2.5 value is sat at idle, whilst normal driving it sits around +14 degrees. Fluctuating to 32 on lift off.

On full power it goes to about -4 degrees

Spark plugs should be fine. Only changed 3k ago and no miss fires reported.

So I'm a little confused when we are supposed to read these values, at idle is it? or whilst physically driving?

Should they fluctuate this much whilst driving? Major fluctuations happen when the excess boost is dumped.

Cheers

"Timiing pull" or Correction factor is different to actual absolute timing, measured in degrees before top dead centre. Timing generally increases with RPM and decreases with Load/Boost. So, it will be constantly changing. Your readings look fine.

Rick