1999 S3 Front Indicator unit

Blackcupraa

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Driving down the M1 to Ikea today and noticed my drivers side indicator unit (pre facelift) flapping around without a care in the world, scratching my wing etc.

Pulled in and couldn't see any issues so relocated the unit and returned home, slowly (55 mph on the M1 is no fun i'll tell you).

Having had a quick look I can't see how the indicator attaches to the chassis.

There is one plastic tab (white / yellowy) with what appears to be a screw going through it, but no where for it to attach to.

Any one got an idea as to how this attaches / diagram of the front end of an S3 for me to look at?

This exact same thing happens to me after I got my stage 1 remap at Bills.

Was naturally having a little play in 4th/5th gear and giving it some beans on the way home and I heard a loud banging sound!

So pulled over very sheepishly, and same as you the drivers side indicator unit was flapping about against the wing- I wedged it back but it came out again several other times across a few weeks.

That plastic bit on the indicator is supposed to lock in place, as when you put the indicator in the wing- if you look from the top there is a small hole you can get to that's part of the wing and you can reach that lug with a screwdriver and move it round to secure.

I replaced my indicators about 14 months ago and I think the lugs didn't work to secure them in, so I had 3 options-

1. Buy another set of indicators with the lugs that move and will secure them in the wing
2. Drive slowly all the time so they don't come loose and smash against the wing and bumper
3. Tiny bit of areldite on the end to secure it to the wing.

1 year on and that tiny bit of areldite is still doing its job very well :)

If that plastic tab on yours moves, then you should be able to lock it in place with a screwdriver. You can obviously see if it works as you won't be able to pull it out if locked in

Where does it secure to Kwistof? From what I can see on mine it doesn't "connect" to anything.

Well can you move the tab on the indicator? The one with the screw head piece on it

When you move it, it should secure to the inside of the wing IIRC but only when it's been pushed back in its normal place and is attached to the headlight

Stupid design really, they all fall out eventually, and Audi wants 75 quid each side! Time for some facelift lights.

Reactions: kwistof
Thank god for that Jojo, thought some little oik had tried something, I do fancy the idea of facelift lights and have a dremmel ready to slice my wing :)