184 tdi or 150 A3 Saloon

T

Tristan2

my local dealer only has the 150 on demo,is the 184 worth the extra money and how does the real life mpg compare
Anybody driven both?

I wouldn't buy the 150 , I have it and to be honest after about 6 months I think it feels dull flat and lacking power.
Go for the 184 mate.

Sean

184. I have it and quite pleased I do. The mpg is really comparable between both so get the extra power.

I would definitely go with what others have said - the 184 is not much a compromise on MPG and Tax, for a lot more power.

And if you shop around and negotiate hard, you will find there are some excellent discounts to be had on new A3s. So you may not pay as much as you think. Or as much as the dealer will be wanting you to pay.

E.g. http://www.carfile.net/results.php?...ions=&bodystyle=7&transmission=&fuel=D&doors=

My dad has the 150 TDI (which I have driven a few times) and had a 3 day extended test drive of the 184 TDI last year.

I would personally say the 184 version is one of the best all rounders available. Nice, lovely surge of torque, good economy (remember getting 47 mpg for the few days I had it) and smooth and very quiet for a TDI. Adding in the rest of the A3 package and I think it's a brilliant ownership prospect.

As others have said, the 150 TDI is OK, but if you want a bit more oooomph I'd always go for the 184. My dad gets about 60 mpg on a run and 40 around town with his.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,I'm currently driving a 2013 TT TDI black edition,but I'm finding the ride very crashy and hard and I now need 4 doors,so that my reasoning for a change

I have to say I find the saloon very tempting, and as much as the 'boy racer' in me would want the S3 (I enjoy my A3 2.0TFSI 58 plate now), the 184 tdi saloon offers a tempting combination of power and looks.

Reactions: Pulp84
I had a similar decision to make back in October.

Coming from a 170TDI I tried the 1.6TDI saloon which was predictably too slow for me but at least i tried:). I tried the 150TDI saloon in sport trim which was good but just not as exciting as my current car. I then tried a 184q SB in S line trim as I was told there were no 184 TDI saloons in the UK until late Feb 15. The second I started driving it I knew this was the engine for me. Its just that bit more powerful and really put a smile on my face.

I'm now just waiting for my March delivery.

Reactions: Jax
Like you I had a 170 TDI as my previous A3 and I tried various A3 and Golf VII models with the 150 TDI engine and found them a bit lacking compared with the 170. I wanted a Sportback and I also wanted the s-tronic so I went for the 184 TDI stronic quattro in Sport trim but with the SE suspension and I must say it by far the best A3 I have driven and this is A3 number nine for me.

I had a 184 and thought the engine was the best diesel I've ever driven. Simples.....
But depends on go versus mpg. Have you realistically considered a petrol?

Last edited:
I also came from a 170 but dropped to the 150 8V as that's all that was available when I had to order back in 2012. My A3 diesel progression has been PD140, PD170, CR170, CR150.

The drop in power from the 170 was noticable but not huge and I never really found the power lacking in the 150. That said I'm sure the 184 is a bit more urgent if that's what you're after.

I've ditched diesel now but have been impressed with all of the ones I've had over the years. The latest ones are impressively smooth and refined compared to how diesels used to be not long ago but they're still unmistakeably diesels I'm afraid and you really notice that when you start driving a petrol again :)

I also came from a 170 but dropped to the 150 8V as that's all that was available when I had to order back in 2012. My A3 diesel progression has been PD140, PD170, CR170, CR150.

The drop in power from the 170 was noticable but not huge and I never really found the power lacking in the 150. That said I'm sure the 184 is a bit more urgent if that's what you're after.

I've ditched diesel now but have been impressed with all of the ones I've had over the years. The latest ones are impressively smooth and refined compared to how diesels used to be not long ago but they're still unmistakeably diesels I'm afraid and you really notice that when you start driving a petrol again :)

Can't agree more about VAG diesels. The 150 / 184 versions are really smooth and I think reasonably quiet on the noise front. :)

Any one with a recent generation BMW diesel will tell you they are like 1950's Soviet tractors in comparison......rough and noisy!!

...but I'm finding the ride very crashy and hard.
All the reviews I have read (except the GTI comparison) recommend deleting the sport suspension. This used to be an option on the configurator. But I believe the dealers can still select this option if you want a more comfortable car.

EDIT: I see this is back in the configurator. I also see they refer to it is a downgrade. Having test driven 2 cars on sport suspension, I would consider this an upgrade :p

Last edited:
I have a problem can some help me I would like to know if a slam panel off a 2.5 tdi Audi A6 fit a 19 tdi ???

I have a problem can some help me I would like to know if a slam panel off a 2.5 tdi Audi A6 fit a 19 tdi ???
You've posted an enquiry about an A6 in a forum about the A3. If you look here, you will see we have separate forums for the A6 models. You're more likely to get the information you are looking for if you ask your question in the appropriate forum for your generation of A6.