Wood filler advice?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Question for you DIY guru's, as I'm stupid.

What's the best filler to use on wood? I need to need to fill three holes left from metal door hinges - I say holes, they are more like cutouts - then I will paint over.

Thanks.

Cut some pieces of wood just under the length/width you want and glue/pin them in then fill round the gaps.

Cut some pieces of wood just under the length/width you want and glue/pin them in then fill round the gaps.

agreed... that way you can match the depth of the cut out to have a plush fit. You have a number of options... you can either sand the piece around all sides to get as good fit as you can or you can just slap a piece in and rely heavily on the filler to take over.

I would say... sand the piece... get a good fit... and in any gaps, you could use a filler like Ronseal Woodfiller or make your own. Ronseal have a decent range to match various colours but always check the tubes as sometimes, people take the caps off and the filler is seized solid (give the tube a squeeze and that way you know it is fine).

Making your own filler is easy too... all you need is a wood glue of your choice and saw dust. Saw dust is free... the panel cutter at your local DIY store will have loads in the panel saw dust collection bag or you may already have some on a work bench. If you use the saw dust from sanding/filing your the insert wood then you can also achieve a colour match that way. This may not be an issue if you are going to paint over it anyway but if you were using a darker wood for your home made filler then obviously you would need to paint over it to blot out the colour.

Making your own: Make Your Own Wood Putty - Wood Filler

Love DIY. Carpentry is in my blood so if you need any more advice feel free to PM.

Ive got a hole in my crap door from a erm... well my fist haha!

I've got an old door that I bought to match the rest, it's a six-panel one which some ****** fitted a modern handle to instead of the nicer original one. Anyway the dude at the reclamation yard recommended something like a small piece of broom handle in the circular hole and then sand down, but I've not tried it yet. It's currently a peep-hole to check up on the wife

Not a glory hole then???

Reactions: _G_
Do these all day long not as easy as it seems to cut a piece of wood 3mm thick (size of a standard 4" butt hinge). over size your timber just slightly as without proper tools trying to get a piece of timber to 3mm is going to end up ******! When you have a piece pinned (sink the pins to the depth required) then use a small block plane to skim the top off until perfectly flush then just fill with some decent two pack filler. Either this or a **** load of hand sanding, done right it should only take 5 minutes each one, becarefull using your sharp tools wear gloves

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…