RACE... well kind of

dgannon69

Reaction score
was going through town yesterday and noticed a silver mk4 golf GTI behind me and floored it at some lights and he ended up catching me wen i slowed down... i guessed it was a standard 1.8T engine. anyway he went into the lane next to me cut some other cars up at the roundabout ahead like a bit of a jerk. i then followed him out of town onto the bypass and managed to get past him and the car ahead of him thinking nothing of it. he then overtook the car behind and started chasing me. we were approaching silly speeds so i slowed down behind a car to wait for it to be safe to overtake. he followed me and i just couldnt shake him off at all! considering i've just been tuned up to 191bhp i thought he was toast!! wat sort of power do these golfs get with a remap cus that must have been what he had done? gutted :-(

If its a late spec one then its 180 bhp standard. Early spec are 150 bhp using the ko3 turbo. Late spec are ko3 sport turbo. If it was a late spec remapped then he most likely would have left you in his dust. It was probably a standard 180 mate.

I went to the Isle of Man with a mate who has an Octavia vRS. He's running 180bhp and mine is 225bhp but there was nothing in it when it came to outright speed. Seems like you need quite a difference in power to make it really show. Weight also makes a big difference.

I took an old F-plate Golf GTI out yesterday to check it was running ok as it had been sitting for 6 months and we had fitted new leads as they were knackered. I noticed that up to about 60mph it was slightly faster than my A3 1800cc NA after that I feel mine holds on better. This golf had 200,086 miles on it!!!! Shows what a bit of weight can do, tho I have just got a new MAF today. . . .

[ QUOTE ]
If its a late spec one then its 180 bhp standard. Early spec are 150 bhp using the ko3 turbo. Late spec are ko3 sport turbo. If it was a late spec remapped then he most likely would have left you in his dust. It was probably a standard 180 mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it was an 02 plate mate... after a roundabout we both floored it and he wasnt gaining anything on me up to about lets say flat out in 3rd.. but then wen slowing down behind a car and pulling back out to over take he was up my *** to about flat out in 4th and then it was back in behind another car as we were going round a very light corner ... and then he took the risk and went by.. just seemed his power was better from 80 upwards.. although i stayed in 4th wen i could hav gone down to 3rd... hmmm who knows. i'm sure i'll see him sum day and ask him about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif