18" or 19"??

Burrizzle

Reaction score
When I bought my car there was a set of 19" black RS wheels on the car but came as an optional extra. I decided at the time to take the original 18" that came with the car but now i'm starting to regret it. I have heard from two different people (both petrol heads) that the A3 runs better on the 18". Can anybody give me any advice?

Thanks Rob!! Here are the pics of the 2 different wheels. It goes without saying the black RS whells look far better!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170312-141133.png
    Screenshot_20170312-141133.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 961
  • Screenshot_20170312-141411.png
    Screenshot_20170312-141411.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 932
Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks Rob!! Here are the pics of the 2 different wheels. It goes without saying the black RS whells look far better!

Nice !!

Top pic is an RS6 replica not OEM just so you know before buying again lots on here with pros and cons of reps think the general rule of thumb is buy a reputable brand some with type approval.

Reactions: Burrizzle
The guy is looking £835 for the RS Replicas. Not sure what brand they are but is that good money or a bit steep? Also another thing to consider is the comfort factor. My last car I put big wheels on but you felt every bump on the road!

I went from 18 to 19 but as my car has mag ride with comfort mode I was hoping for this to be low risk. As things went I lowered the car before fitting the 19s in which case the difference in comfort was negligible.

Also worth noting that tyre choice will have an influence over ride comfort.

Reactions: Burrizzle
Thanks again everyone!!

Replicas aren't the best move, stay OEM....

Reactions: glospete and Rob2k68
I looked into this when I was buying my S3 FL. When I am considering buying a car I look at the total cost of owning and running the car which includes the cost of tyres. 19" might be more aesthetically pleasing but the tyres are more expensive than 18" (at least 25% more expensive) and given the lower profile, with less air cushion, a harsher ride. I didn't think it was worth it as I am never going to push the car to the absolute limits and I frequently experience punctures given the numbers of screws and nails there seem to be on the roads these days. Lower profile tyres are more prone to damage from potholes etc.

19" for posing, 18" for driving. Which do you prefer doing?

I see your point Simon but respectfully, it's not as cut and dry as that. The 8P was definitely better on 18s but the bigger, lighter 8V handles 19s fine, and mine (lightweight and incredible rubber) have improved the cross-country "experience" shall we say (ie it's a weapon!).

Different car, I know, but the Leon Cupra I had was transformed by downsizing the rims from 19" to 18". If it hadn't come to a sticky end under a truck I'd have been seeking out a 265 owner to do a wheel swap with!

I went from 18 to 19 but as my car has mag ride with comfort mode I was hoping for this to be low risk. As things went I lowered the car before fitting the 19s in which case the difference in comfort was negligible.

Also worth noting that tyre choice will have an influence over ride comfort.

Hey,

I'm ordering my S3 I'm just afraid the 19's empact the comfor a lot. I drove the 18's with sport suspension and the ride was awesome not too much bumpe, but if I'll get the 19's I'll get them with Magride.

So in your experience is the 19's with Magride will be as comfor as the 18's with sport suspension

Thanks in advance

I've found the ride alright so far with 19's and mag ride, never had either before but wouldn't say it's much different to the R32 on stock suspension and 18's.

Reactions: AndrewB
Hey,

I'm ordering my S3 I'm just afraid the 19's empact the comfor a lot. I drove the 18's with sport suspension and the ride was awesome not too much bumpe, but if I'll get the 19's I'll get them with Magride.

So in your experience is the 19's with Magride will be as comfor as the 18's with sport suspension

Thanks in advance

Hi, can't help unfortunately as I was lowered on Eibach when I made the switch - with the V spokes and mag ride now coming in at a more reasonable price I'd go for that - was 2k with the wing arm 19s on the pre face lift.

I've found the ride alright so far with 19's and mag ride, never had either before but wouldn't say it's much different to the R32 on stock suspension and 18's.

Can spose in fute I get a lot irretated from the 19's can replace back to the 18's with no trouble is that right nothing has to be changed except the tires and wheels them selves

Hey,

Thanks in advance

I drive switch mag ride in comfort with 19's, it is more comfortable than an A3 S Line suspension!
I drove my granddads s line saloon for a couple of days on 18's, it was almost a brutal ride compared to mine!!
Mine rides so smoothly, it isn't uncommon that people say the magnetic ride is softer than S line suspension.

Get the 19's, with mag ride and you will have more comfort than those on 18's. The ride is very firm on a standard S3.

I've gone A3 S-line with standard 18's with s-line suspension, to an S3 saloon with 19's and mag ride (dynamic setting) to S3 hatch with standard setup and the saloon was defo the best ride of the 3. If I'd had the money I'd would've gone 19's and mag ride again.

Si :)

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
I've gone A3 S-line with standard 18's with s-line suspension, to an S3 saloon with 19's and mag ride (dynamic setting) to S3 hatch with standard setup and the saloon was defo the best ride of the 3. If I'd had the money I'd would've gone 19's and mag ride again.

Thanks I'll sure go then for the 19' with magride

Reactions: AudiNutta, Rob2k68 and Psyman79
Hopefully you won't regret it :) even the wife has commented on how much bouncier the new car is.

Active dampers make a huge difference to how I perceive the ride. We've got cars with both types of MQB active damper systems. Both systems do a great job of tying the car down but without affecting comfort.
  • S3 on 19" with Audi mag-ride.
  • Golf on 18" with VW DCC.
First got it on the Golf VII because of worries 18" would be too harsh, coming from a Golf VI on 16"... Amazingly it was about the same. I've heard people assert MQB is "worth" one upsize in wheel diameter compared to PQ35, and I'd argue adaptive dampers are worth another. Comfort formula alert!

PQ35 + 16" == MQB + 18" + adaptive dampers

I find it better for motion sickness too: perhaps the damping can be slightly stronger at motorway speeds so there's less of a bounce, but then dynamically reduces to avoid making it too harsh at low-speeds.

I know people with Caterhams who would mock all this technology, of course, and (perhaps rightly) say we should eschew the endless arms race of rubber-band tyre profiles and return to 16" wheels... But it would look pants.

Reactions: Rob2k68, AudiNutta and batch
I personally would stick with18's, my TT had factory fit 19's and it felt every single bump no matter how small. My current S3 has the standard 18's on without mag and it's so much more liveable on a daily basis, yes it might look a bit better on 19's but 18's are much easier to live with.

I have both 18 and 19's. 18 at top 19 bottom.

IMG 2697

The 18's generally ride a little softer but not by much. The S3 suspension is after all a firm ride. Certainly if you have Mag Ride adaptive dampers it helps a little. A car with 18's on does not look under wheeled and the stock alloys are very nice. 19's do fill the arches a little better and also provide a more aggresive stance to the car. Pics do not do the 19's justics. Both 18 and 19 look good in my opinion.

But another major difference can be tyres and their side wall profile and ofcouse pressures. I have found these make night and day differences, and is very noticable on the 19's.

I have found Continental and Pirelli Pzero generally offer a firmer ride to Goodyear Eagle F1 or Michelin PS4S at the same pressures.

So when going up a wheel size, pay attention to pressures and choose appropriate tyres wisely dependent on what you want your car for and personal preference. After all everyone has different levels of acceptable comfort vs sporty ride and has different expectations of tyres... wear vs ride quality vs grip vs price etc etc.

Jungle

Reactions: AL_B, Tom.H, glospete and 3 others
I personally would stick with18's, my TT had factory fit 19's and it felt every single bump no matter how small. My current S3 has the standard 18's on without mag and it's so much more liveable on a daily basis, yes it might look a bit better on 19's but 18's are much easier to live with.

19's with mag ride are softer, amazingly.

I have both 18 and 19's. 18 at top 19 bottom.

View attachment 121135

The 18's generally ride a little softer but not by much. The S3 suspension is after all a firm ride. Certainly if you have Mag Ride adaptive dampers it helps a little. A car with 18's on does not look under wheeled and the stock alloys are very nice. 19's do fill the arches a little better and also provide a more aggresive stance to the car. Pics do not do the 19's justics. Both 18 and 19 look good in my opinion.

But another major difference can be tyres and their side wall profile and ofcouse pressures. I have found these make night and day differences, and is very noticable on the 19's.

I have found Continental and Pirelli Pzero generally offer a firmer ride to Goodyear Eagle F1 or Michelin PS4S at the same pressures.

So when going up a wheel size, pay attention to pressures and choose appropriate tyres wisely dependent on what you want your car for and personal preference. After all everyone has different levels of acceptable comfort vs sporty ride and has different expectations of tyres... wear vs ride quality vs grip vs price etc etc.

Jungle

Nice! Very informative post Jungle!
Do you have mag ride on yours? Has your car been lowered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19's with mag ride are softer, amazingly.
In that case go 19's. I think 19's better suit the sport back and the hatch sits nicely on 18's. The ride was so much more firmer on the TT compared to the S3 which I was surprised by, even though in 18's I thought the S would have a lot firmer set up.

Also think the TT is better handling, mine was the ultra tdi, it was a lot sharper around corners etc.

I do love the S3 though.

Nice! Very informative post Jungle!
emoji5.png

Do you have mag ride on yours? Has your car been lowered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi , You are welcome on the post.

Yes my car has Mag Ride. The car is stock height and NOT lowered.

Hope that helps.

Regds
Jungle

Reactions: MKC and Rob2k68
In that case go 19's. I think 19's better suit the sport back and the hatch sits nicely on 18's. The ride was so much more firmer on the TT compared to the S3 which I was surprised by, even though in 18's I thought the S would have a lot firmer set up.

Also think the TT is better handling, mine was the ultra tdi, it was a lot sharper around corners etc.

I do love the S3 though.

I'd have thought they would reduce comfort but they really don't. I've seen it many times that mag ride is softer than S Line suspension.

I came out of an S Line and said the ride was 'brutal' on roads I drive every day! There is that much of a difference.

Not at all. When I had s3 suspension I barely noticed any difference going to 19s the tyres only go from 40 to 35 profile. It's a little firmer with lowered springs now but in a reassuring way. Not harsger when compared to standard

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Not at all. When I had s3 suspension I barely noticed any difference going to 19s the tyres only go from 40 to 35 profile. It's a little firmer with lowered springs now but in a reassuring way. Not harsger when compared to standard
I had my B9 A4 with 19” and S line suspension and didn’t notice it at all. A lot of people complain about the harshness of Audi suspension, especially the S line suspension, but I’ve never had a reason to complain.