Gear box oil change

Spatula

A4 B6
Reaction score
As said in the title, I'm thinking I'm in need of gear box oil change, as I don't think it's ever been done. I did search the forums for specs etc on a 1.8t '98 AGU, however came to no avail.

Does anyone know the spec's (oil grade etc.) and how-to's?

Also, whilst posting, I have a few other questions..

1) When I change gear, I get a kinda of lumpy jerk? Not sure what that easy, maybe clutch problems?

2) Plugged into Vagcom last night and came up with the following codes:

16514 Oxygen (Lamba)
Sensor B1 S1:
Malfunction in Circuit : P0130

Powertrain Data Bus
Sporadic - defective

Could anyone shed any light on these?

Cheers,

This has been discussed a few times mate... search can be a little iffy but maybe worth trying to be a little less specific with the criteria as the info is not that specific to any one car..

Anyhoo... its 75W90 semi synth gear oil GL4 spec (not GL5)... not sure of the capacity off hand (2.5ltrs rings a bell) so 3ltrs should be enough...

<tuffty/>

1) When I change gear, I get a kinda of lumpy jerk? Not sure what that easy, maybe clutch problems?

2) Plugged into Vagcom last night and came up with the following codes:

16514 Oxygen (Lamba)
Sensor B1 S1:
Malfunction in Circuit : P0130

Powertrain Data Bus
Sporadic - defective

Could anyone shed any light on these?

Cheers,

Jumpiness could be an engine mount or dogbone...

Check your codes here..
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

...but sounds like the lambda sensor is faulty and this could also be contributing to your jerky gear changes...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I do try and search for related topics before I post, because I'm aware that you've probably answered a lot of the questions that pop in these threads a million times!

@ <tuffty/> - noted on the be less specific :sm4: the search function works a bit better.
I found bit's a bobs related to gear oil stuff, however they were all for different models, and I assume oil type/amount changes model to model.

Quick question, may sound pretty dumb.
What is the lambda's function?
Also, what is the Haldex's function? - sorry to be so nooby!

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

The haldex enagages and disengages the rear wheel drive. It connects when slip at the front wheel is detected, think of it as a clutch. The lambda sensors monitor the exhaust gases and the response by them make the Ecu adjust the air and fuel mixture.

Also, and sorry about this.. lol

I get the Lambda sensor needs replacing, but 01312

Possible Solutions

• Check Databus Wiring and/or Connector

How would one go about this task?

Cheers,

The haldex enagages and disengages the rear wheel drive. It connects when slip at the front wheel is detected, think of it as a clutch. The lambda sensors monitor the exhaust gases and the response by them make the Ecu adjust the air and fuel mixture.

Ah ok! This makes sense.
My A3 is FWD. I assume this means I don't own a Haldex..

Quick question, may sound pretty dumb.
What is the lambda's function?
Also, what is the Haldex's function? - sorry to be so nooby!

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Lambda controls fuelling... in your case you have a narrow band lambda and only controls fuelling on idle and cruise.. when afr goes less than lambda 1 (normally under acceleration etc) then lambda goes open loop and fuelling is 'calculated' from airflow

Haldex is a electronically controlled clutch system that is used on AWD systems to engage drive to the rear wheels

<tuffty/>

Ok I understand. This will probably explain my lumpy idle too...

So how do I check data bus wiring and/or connector?
(regarding the other code)