Audi A3 Aftermarket Upgrade help!

Matt Jagger

Reaction score
Hi guys, really hope you can help me out here. I've bought the father in law the following head unit for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MEX-BT...JMU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357155742&sr=8-1

He has an Audi A3 3-door 53 plate with a double DIN Symphony radio (CD changer and cassette deck) which is completely faulty bar from the tuner.

He's been quoted over £100 to have the Sony unit installed and I'm sure I can do it cheaper for him myself if I buy the correct leads online. I'm not sure if he has any kind of Bose system, it doesn't say so on the speakers anyway, and we're not too bothered if he doesn't get to use his rear speakers (if that helps make it cheaper at all). He also doesn't have any steering wheel controls.

I'm pretty certain I need some form of fascia adapter, but other than that I'm not sure exactly what I need. I've read something about CANBUS adapters, so not sure if I need this or not, but would like to keep it as cheap as possible.

Any help you can give would really help, I'd like to get his Xmas present sorted for him ASAP. :)

Thanks

Matt

basically you need this kit:
Connects2 CTKAU01 Audi A3 2003 D-Din Facia kit with stalk control adapter - NEW | eBay

but you would have to request the fascia for a single din radio and not the included double din fascia... the single din one looks like this:
AUDI FACIA PLATE A3 CONNECTS2 (CT24AU09) | eBay

make sure its the connects2 kit as that is the easiest to install without having to run any other wires.
and also make sure when you buy the above kit you specify that its for a Sony stereo so that they send out the sony patch lead.

Thanks so much for the reply Ash that helps me loads. I assume that's the cheapest route/way of installing it? Thanks again! Matt