Mod planning help and advice needed.

S3 Es

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive recently aquired a 2002 BAM engined S3. Now that Ive firmly imprinted my *** cheek pattern in the drivers seat and warmed the spot its time to get modding. From advice and experience Im trying to get things together to be done in bulk stages to save on time and money as well as being able to feel more of a difference when loads gets done together :D

Ive been hunting the threads on here now for a while asking various questions and getting various advice and here's what Ive managed to come up with....

Phase One
Seat LCR Top Mounts
Super Pro or Neuspeed bushes all round ​inc. Steering rack mount, Pendulum "dog bone" mount, lower & upper motor mounts and transmission mount.
Bilstein B8 sports dampers front and rear
Eibach 25-30mm lowering springs
VW Golf R32 ARB's front and rear
Rear Strut Tie Bars HPA Triangulated/Forge Adjustable Rear Tie Bars
Forge Gear Throw and Side Shift shortners

Phase Two
Forge DV 007/008
Badger 5 3" TIP
Forge silicone pipes all round
Forge Alloy Boost Hard Pipe
AH Fabrications V2 FMIC
Smoothed OEM Air box with cold air feed/Evoms CAI
Oil Catch Can
Possible N249, SAI and PCV deletes/bypasses
Stage 2 Remap R-Tech/Badger 5

I plan to go further in the future with brembos and haldex controllers and then who know's but lets keep it simple and OEM looking for now as far as the engine bay is concerned.

Now firstly I highlighted in blue areas I'm undecided on and hope you guys will point me the right way, the most burning question for me is Smoothed OEM Air box with cold air feed vs Evoms/Carbonio CAI or similar, I've seen such mixed feedback on here its crazy!!! and what colour spring do you recommend on which Forge DV?

Also if you think I've missed anything or want to add any opinions view etc feel free.

A new OEM diverter valve will probably do the job.
For maximum airflow I'd do neither and run a large open cone filter.
N249, SAI, PCV simplification all worthwhile.
Can't go wrong with either Badger5 or R-Tech. Badger5 is a forum sponsor :) To make a remap worthwhile I'd get a full exhaust system.

Wouldn't bother spending the money on the forge charge pipe.

You can probably mix those stages up a little as you have a lot in each.

Most do it in terms of power (engine bay) handling, transmission, aesthetics but you can do little things for good gains early doors and without waiting for ages.

Read westy's and prawns threads for buckets of info. Budget is the crucial thing.

Personally, if I were you, I'd get the diverter valve, change filter, badger 5 tip and map straight away. That'll, give you good immediate gain.

You'll be fine on standard brakes and transmission at this level but could uprate to ferrodo pads whe renecessary.

Handling and aesthetically, it'll look and drive better with your suggestions. Be mindful of all wishbone bushes while you are at it.

Aesthetically and for the sporty feel some cheap mods range from the LCR splitter, aero blades, tinting and a short shifter is always good.

You might want to add a 3" stainless downpipe (sport cat/full stainless) and a fmic will really help mid range power for 'stage 2', I'd do these before silicone hoses but up to you. Probably about the same cost and better gain.

N249 delete and PCV simplification are easy on the AMK/BAM engines , fitting a catch can sorts out the PCV side of things. SAI delete is not required as the BAM engine doesn't have it.

Cheers.
Sean.

I didnt think so, I had one on my V6 4motion and this in no ways sounds like it has one, I thought maybe it was quieter or something lol! So catch can mod and pcv delete/bypass are one and the same (good to know), would you recommend venting to atmosphere as some have done on here, what exactly is the point/gain of doing that?

Yhh your right, now I have the list all in one place it does look a little bulky. I might do what you said with the DV, TIP and would need to be a stage 1 MAP at that point, then attack hanlding and go on from there.

I already have the LCR splitter and Aero wiper arms and blades on order, TT pedals maybe soon to...