Wiper problem help please

Tooks

Reaction score
Ok, got a problem that started yesterday.

Basically, I was driving along when without warning the headlight washers on my S3 activated and the front windscreen wipers started wiping. I checked the stalk, and it was where it should be, no amount of switching it up or down would turn the wipers off. The rear wash and wipe still worked, as did the high speed setting on the fronts.

I pulled over, turned the ignition off and the wipers stopped. When I restarted the car, so did the front wipers.

On getting home, I fiddled and played and discovered that putting the rear wiper on the intermittent setting also made the front wipers park themselves and work as instructed. On switching off the rear intermittent wipe, everything seemed fine.

Today, I drove the car and again everything seemed normal, but then the wipers came on by themselves once more. I stopped and removed the fuse for the rear wiper motor, and now everything works as it should, apart from the rear wiper obviously. 70 miles driving and the front wipers never started by themselves and worked as they should via the stalk.

So, I have narrowed it down to the stalk or the rear wiper motor/controller.

The rear wash works as it should, and there don't appear to be any leaks.

So, what are folks thoughts as to the cause?

Has the rear wiper and or controller given up the ghost? Is there a controller, could a faulty rear motor send power the wrong way down the wiring switching on the fronts? Could the stalk and controller be at fault?

What would you change first?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ok, just so it helps anybody else in a similar situation, I've now solved this.

As the problems with the front wipers seemed to go away once I'd isolated the rear wiper motor, I decided to change that before the stalk.

I managed to source a compatible motor from my local parts emporium, and although it was listed as suitable for an A3, the motor is actually for a Golf IV, so wipes the opposite way to the A3 part. This isn't a problem as long as you know, and the wiper now parks on the drivers side of the rear window which is fine with me. Luckily I tested the motor before fitting the arm, so didn't end up trying to wipe the number plate!

im sure it could be reversed with the wiring or similar, and I could always pick up a straight arm from a Golf, but it looks and works fine so I'll leave it and be satisfied it's another broken thing fixed, and for only £27!