S4 Brake Upgrade Options

brian1970

Reaction score
My Discs on my S4 Cabro are getting grooved.
So really the discs need replacing in the foreseeable future.

I have owned many Subaru Cars in the past and have spent a small fortune on brake upgrades :(

This time around im keeping it simple, the 2 pot calipers arnt that bad ( i presume they are 2 pots) lol !

So is it a basic task of disc and Pad replacement ? I hate to feel juddering on heavy braking which Drilled discs provide.
So has any one a reccomendation to a Grooved disc and pad set up ?
I would really like to keep close to stock as possible but to increase braking just a bit more but not loose the Stock Nice ness ;)

LOL !!

Any input nice or bad is very much appreciated :) and no, my calipers are not to be painted red ;) lol !

Quite a few people run MTEC discs, some of who swear by them and some of whom don't think they're that great. I have the grooved and dimpled ones (3.0tdi has the same as the S4 I believe), with the black coating. Not 100% sure if the braking power is improved over standard as the discs needed replacing when I fitted them. One thing I would say if you're considering them is to not use the Mintex pads which they offer as a package deal, purely because in the hot weather they sometimes squeak when at very low speeds (sub 5mph). This is just based on personal experience.

I heard that they are just standard discs which MTEC buy, then either groove, drill or dimple them and apply the optional coating. But at £235 (this Aug) for a set of 4 discs and pads they're well priced and there's nothing else I know of for that price.

Personally I would recommend them as they are well priced, give good braking and look nice, but don't buy them expecting miracles.

Pistons are single but big,2.0t s line se/ dtm and 3.0td are321mm s4 should be 345mm only difference is the caliper carrier ,caliper is the same,see my porsche cayenne caliper thread if you fancy proper stoppers ,cheers Andy