led not illuminated

a3 convert

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me. Just baught a 2009 a3 sportback. put the lights on when driving home and noticed the buttons for the FM and MW on the chorus stereo and on the pop out tray didn't light up like the rest. Is there an easy fix or will it just drive me nuts.
Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.

my 09 card tray stopped working once, but played around prodding & pushing it & it started working again - hasn't failed since. Failing that the front of the button strip just levers off with a flat screwdriver (it's semi-flexible), be prepared to catch the hazard switch (which pops off because it's the only one fitted outside the strip) or go searching down the side of the center console for it. behind the strip there're a couple of little catch\clips in the top corners of the tray that need releasing before you can withdraw it.

I can't help with the HU because after 5 months of ownership I felt a need to upgrade - even though it wasn't too bad quality wise, it worked fine & looked like new! I like having more functionality. If it turns out to be a fix requiring payment, you might be better off either upgrading it or buying a secondhand one.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

my 09 card tray stopped working once, but played around prodding & pushing it & it started working again - hasn't failed since. Failing that the front of the button strip just levers off with a flat screwdriver (it's semi-flexible), be prepared to catch the hazard switch (which pops off because it's the only one fitted outside the strip) or go searching down the side of the center console for it. behind the strip there're a couple of little catch\clips in the top corners of the tray that need releasing before you can withdraw it.

I can't help with the HU because after 5 months of ownership I felt a need to upgrade - even though it wasn't too bad quality wise, it worked fine & looked like new! I like having more functionality. If it turns out to be a fix requiring payment, you might be better off either upgrading it or buying a secondhand one.

Thanks for the advice, will try it out later. You might be right about the upgrade. The Chorus just seems to use the front speakers( is this normal?). If I change to a concert/symphony, is it just a case of removing the old one and fitting in the new one? or will I have to run wires to the rear speakers as well? As you might have guessed I have a limited knowledge of sound systems. Any advice will appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm not sure the Chorus has rear speakers because it's the least of the 4 factory fitted stereos available for the A3 ..someone else will have to confirm that for you though, as I had the Concert. you might give member AndyMac a PM, he knows everything that's worth knowing about A3 stereos, and ask him to look in on the thread.

Just found out from Audi that my particular car doesn't have illuminated tray(upgrade). What cheapskates