Bought my first Audi

Stol1975

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a complete noob to audi's and I'm really exited to get my first one. I'm getting an A3 tdie 1.9 sport. I have plucked for this as it suits my budget especially considering the ved banding and mpg rate. I'm a little worried I'll be disappointed with performance but it felt great on the test drive. I am considering a remap if my insurance provider allows though I've never modified a car and to be fair I would worry I'm doing more harm than good(feel free to advise).

It's an 09 with 78000 on the clock and as far as I can see its not had the cam-belt or water pump changed so I bartered down the price as much as I could to get this done on ownership. I've had a quote of £325 for a complete cam kit and water pump to be fitted. I plan to take it to Audi(buying from independent dealer) to have it checked for recalls such at the fuel injectors mentioned on here. While I'm there I'll ask about there advice on the cam-belt service as the service book says 95000 miles and see if they can match my quote, worth a punt I reckon.

Anyway I only know the slightest thing about any of the above cause of reading your posts and listening to your advice on other threads. Any advice for me would be much appreciated. Never owned a diesel or a car with so much mileage and even something as simple as diesel fuel additives is the unknown to me!

Thanks in advance

Stol1975

Howdee I'm quite new here as well, the 1.9 engine is reliable bullet proof engine. The injectors trouble was only associated with the 2.0L. 170bhp engine. Cambelt & water pump for £320 is good, you could probably shop around for cheaper but only save a few pounds. Wherever else you have it serviced in the future, make sure they use the correct PD oil, very important to the trouble free running of this particular engine.. As for mapping I don't know any insurance companies that won't load your premium or even allow it on their cover, best to run it as you intended, for economy. It will seem quite sprightly at lower speeds but at higher speeds you will notice it struggles a bit being a 105 bhp. and a heavy car compared to other Golf sized Hatchbacks

Should be fine on that mileage - the 1.9 engine is pretty reliable. I'm just getting rid of the same model as the 3 years is up on the lease. Cambelt should have been done at 75000. I had the same thoughts about the book saying 95000 but Audi said the book is incorrect (!)

It does lack acceleration but the economy is good at 65mpg on a decent run

The injector issues you may have read about aren't relevant to the 1.9tdi

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply. After picking it up and taking it out on the road I'm well chuffed with the whole package and the performance is loads better than I thought, more than adequate for me. First trip to work ang got 65mpg, when I compare that to my last car which was 30mpg I'm over the moon. Don't think this will be my last Audi😄

1.9TDI is bulletproof - same as in the Skoda Octavia and the taxis round here are easily putting 250k on them without them even blinking. Mate of mine is a taxi driver and apart from standard servicing and MOTs the only things he's done are change the tyres, wipers and washer fluid, and put fuel in.

I'd get the cambelt done, as Phil said, the book is wrong. Not the most power ever but it's not sluggish, just not fast.