Hybrid K04 R&D

I've got one..
Its basically the ttrs compressor wheel. It's too big for the 1.8t comp housing.. And the current 2283 is more than capable of flowing more than the 1.8t turbine housing can take.. And in the k04 tfsi hybrids the comp housing will easily take a 2480 wheel if not larger so again this isn't needed.. I don't know know what application this wheel could be used in tbh.. I know the guy who made them up and think he hasn't sold many....

Thanks mate that's very interesting and 325bhp from a 2280 wheel is good but I agree with what you say above regarding compressor wheel size but it goes to show what a stock turbine can achieve also.

More Science now which I like:-
I've measured the inside diameter of the exhaust housing of a stock K04-023 and its between 79.5mm and 80mm. The gasket is approx 83mm. We know how flow is restricted in its standard form with a standard turbine size such that gases exiting the turbine hit the lip of the exhaust housing and deflect out into the down pipe and away... Not great. Imagine now a standard aftermarket upgraded downpipe whether it be cupra r , s3 or TT, its 76mm OD which equates to aprrox 73mm ID. The turbine gases have an additional 3.5mm lip of restriction all the way around the down pipe flange in addition to those offered from the exhaust housing.

In its simplest form a solution for existing turbos would be have a new down pipe flange cut with a 80mm hole and a 88mm Pipe forming the DP welded over it. That way the oversized 88mm pipe will form an expansion chamber for the gases and if possible I would continue this for the whole DP if space allowed on the individual cars etc(4wd may be a prob). I'm liking the modern 5 inch 100cpi cats for this to mate too and a 3inch cat back zorst.

For new hybrids I would like to see the exhaust housing & DP flange milled at least an extra 3mm diameter overall (1.5mm across the circumference) on the turbo which would allow the stock gasket to fit perfectly. Consider you would now have an obstruction free diameter of 83mm to exit the turbine area as opposed to 73mm which we all have now. That's an increase in flow area of 29%. For ref the id of the 88mm DP tubing would be approx 85mm and I've checked that adequate clearance will still remain to fit a socket on each of the 3 nuts.

What do you think.
I agree, there is a step/ridge inside the turbine housing lip on the outlet which I always port smooth but I think it might be there either as its badly designed or as a kick to get the gases flowing over the lip of the dp flange, flow is about turbulence and reducing it. Also you'd only need to de restrict one side of the dp as the gasses come out one side and shielded from the waste gate gasses on the other. Also as the gasses come out of the turbine and energy is taken out the gasses slow and in so increase in volume. If I be a chance I'll take my dp off and try match porting the dp to turbine housing. You can buy 4"-3" reducers so you could cut one down to get the larger Id to 3" existing dp.

I agree, there is a step/ridge inside the turbine housing lip on the outlet which I always port smooth but I think it might be there either as its badly designed or as a kick to get the gases flowing over the lip of the dp flange, flow is about turbulence and reducing it. Also you'd only need to de restrict one side of the dp as the gasses come out one side and shielded from the waste gate gasses on the other. Also as the gasses come out of the turbine and energy is taken out the gasses slow and in so increase in volume. If I be a chance I'll take my dp off and try match porting the dp to turbine housing. You can buy 4"-3" reducers so you could cut one down to get the larger Id to 3" existing dp.
That would be interesting if you did, i recon it would be worth the effort. Still a few tweaks to be added to get the very best out of this tubby.
Have you had any figures back from your latest k04 Hybrid builds. They do look very well engineered and specified.

I was looking at my stock K04 last night and was amazed how restrictive it is where it continually reduces down from the exhaust mani flange to the turbine wheel. I can barely get my finger down there. How much scope is there for porting that area immediately before the turbine wheel and due to it being ubber restrictive and how can we say that it is probably the exhaust manifold that is limiting power when the turbine inlet is many times smaller. This restriction is also causing big manifold back pressures.
What is the dimensions of the custom K16 turbine wheel.

lupos hybrid pending fitment is ported a lot in that area.
we shall see.
manifold is also ported equally as large

lupos hybrid pending fitment is ported a lot in that area.
we shall see.
manifold is also ported equally as large
This is going to be very interesting. Any chance you could take a picture of how much porting has been achieved, one of my biggest concerns for porting in this area is to know how much is too much with regards leaving enough meat there for the turbo to retain reliability.

This is going to be very interesting. Any chance you could take a picture of how much porting has been achieved, one of my biggest concerns for porting in this area is to know how much is too much with regards leaving enough meat there for the turbo to retain reliability.

I have the same porting on mine which is now running, you only need to take metal away from the meaty bit between main port and wastegate .

That shoulder looks like it takes a lot of direct heat and gas on it but once its opened up there less of a face/restriction into the turbine. When you you open the wastegate up to stop creep you remove a fair bit already. I guess time will tell on whether it affects the housings and if its prone to crack more.

Have you had a recent spec upgrade on these as there seams to be a bit of a buzz on facebook regarding a Super sized version.

Bill, BBT, anyone fancy making an adapter plate like the tapered ones used for throttle boddies on the various intake manifolds but only this time used for tapering the exhaust housing in a ko4 turbo to fit the smaller typical 3 inch down pipe. Ie 83mm to 73mm (ported turbine exit on exhaust housing necking down to internal downpipe diameter.Maybe 12mm thickness.see post 198

Bill, BBT, anyone fancy making an adapter plate like the tapered ones used for throttle boddies on the various intake manifolds but only this time used for tapering the exhaust housing in a ko4 turbo to fit the smaller typical 3 inch down pipe. Ie 83mm to 73mm (ported turbine exit on exhaust housing necking down to internal downpipe diameter.Maybe 12mm thickness.see post 198

Just port or tout the inside of the downpipe flange, most have the downpipe welded to the outside of the flange, then you just need to smooth the inside lip of the turbine housing, which I do..

Port match the turbo housing, gasket and down pipe..

I've just had flanges made that are identical to the k04, so you only need to flow the actual downpipe pipe inside the flange..

line the inner edge on the side of the turbine and the other side, heat and knock out, or fill weld it so to make up the gap, less important the other side as it's the waste gate.. I've done this same principle on the tfsi..

Unfortunately mines a blueflame where the pipe enters the flange. I did consider getting it built up with a heavy weld and grind it away with a die grinder, the adapter plate will ad volume though.

Unfortunately mines a blueflame where the pipe enters the flange. I did consider getting it built up with a heavy weld and grind it away with a die grinder, the adapter plate will ad volume though.

how about an flange, 3.5" reducer cut to fit the flange and the cuts to butt weld up to you dp, with the old flange cut off?