2006 1.9tdi Gearbox trouble

gary3306

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Had a search on the forum but can't find this specific problem. Car has been fine, driving home today up the A1 was in 5th doing about 65/70, when all of a sudden a metallic rattling and crunching noise started and it jumped out of 5th, tried to put it back in but the noise was awful. Went to put it into 4th and got the noises but then it dropped in and was fine. Went about 200yds, tried 5th, gearstick went into the 5th position but there was no resistance at all but if I tried to push the gearstick up as far as it would go in 5th, I got a faint grind as though I was trying to engage without using the clutch. Dropped back into 4th and nursed it back home. Goes up and down all other gears fine, just no 5th, and now and again you can hear a clunk inside the box.

Do these boxes have problems with selectors?

Cars only done 53K ***

Thought I'd ask if anyone has any similar experiences and can tell me what happened to theirs before I take my car over to work tomorrow and rip the box out :huh:

Not happy!!!

doesnt sound good. first step would be to drop the oil out of the box. if its full of tiny bits of metal then its time to get your wallet out!

Thats what I'll be doing today. I'll just drop the box and strip it myself at work and see whats needed. New box knowing my luck :sadlike: