2011 A3 1.6 TDI poor MPG

plantfoot

Reaction score
I have just changed from a 1.9 TDI A3 2009 model I was getting 61 MPG door to door driving easy, and 80 MPG on m/way drive not going over 50MPH to a 1.6 TDI 2011 model Door to door is now 48 to 50 M/way drive 54 tops which is rubbish When I bought the car the previous owner had put Sport wheels on 224/45/17 could this be the reason for Poor MPG if so what is the default tyre size for this car.

Reactions: Chillout
I've got a 2010 1.6tdi and I've had between 56 and 68 mpg. Standard are 16 inch I believe

Just had first service ask Audi to check fuel system as I have low mpg they came back with all is ok. Then they give me a report to read from Audi which stated that they drove the test car at 20 mph disconnected air con, alternator, power steering So there was no drain on the engine. How can we as drivers achieve the recommended mpg. These test are a waste of time

The tests are for comparison from one car to another and NOT indicative - they never have been really, and why would they be when the car is driven a set low speed cycle on a rolling road in a laboratory with minimal friction loss and virtually zero drag from the air.

You've got a smaller capacity engine so less inherent torque than the 1.9 you used to have. You will struggle to repeat the 1.9 figures although i've never known anyone get 80mpg from that engine, ever.

The 17" alloys will be affecting the economy (I ran steel narrow winter tyres on my Golf .6TDI and every winter i was 10-12% better off on the economy front than the 17" summer alloys).

I've swapped my Golf to a A3 1.6TDI Sport 3 weeks ago - as with the Golf before the economy is hugely affected by speed - if you want decent economy then you need to drive at 61-63 mph on dual carriageways and 50-53mph on a roads. Having done almost 70k miles with the 1.6TDI between the 2 cars I've found you won't get any more economy from this engine than a 2.0TDI since the 2.0 has better gearing and more torque, so you are using a lot less revs at anything over 50mph.

I asked about how they come up with the mpg results and it turns out the tests are done with an engine in a room. So it's not even attached to a car, never a good way to advertise how great a car is!