Which Loom do I need ....

Goonas

Reaction score
Help me please.
I intend to do an after market Double Din installation in my A3 (56 plate), and understand around 2005/6 they changed from ISO to quadlock - hence the confusion.
I know all about the cage I need, and the climate control etc, but I am confused as hell regarding which loom I need.

I have a Concert headunit and Bose (NO CD Changer). I have removed the headunit to see the connections at the back and this is what I have...

IMG_0243.jpg

Red plug is for Bluetooth I presume.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

What is this yellow plug? is it for the Bluetooth ariel ?

So I guess the question is do I have an ISO connection or Quadlock?

Thanks in advance for your help.

you have ISO - no idea on the yellow plug but looks like some sort of fakra connector

What aftermarket stereo are you getting?

As advised you have the ISO connections.
For your wiring connections I would advise to get the connects2 cables, the best place I have seen is from dynamic sounds
they also do a complete fitting kit including a fascia , radio adapters and wiring kits for a decent price (£70)
If you need fitting or assistance on the job let me know as I fit these systems alot on the a3s

Hi

The quadlock is what is connecting the BOSE amplifier that gives you the line level outputs, Front right, Front Left etc. It also carries the data. This is the one that your going to need to use if you want to use the BOSE Amp there is no ISO output for the speakers being used. There is an ISO socket on the back of the radio in the middle but I bet there was no plug in it.

The BOSE is an amplified system that uses line level signals to the amplifier rather than low impedance direct to the speakers.

The Yellow plug is just the Ariel for the radio.

The red block if it came of the vertical is just the connector for the phone and that would leave the last one being the power ETC.

I think you connector you will need will be more like the SOT-1002 but I would check with who ever you are getting the cable from and it also depends on if you want to get phone in there as well.

Hope that helps

A

Last edited:
Hi

The quadlock is what is connecting the BOSE amplifier that gives you the line level outputs, Front right, Front Left etc. It also carries the data. This is the one that your going to need to use if you want to use the BOSE Amp there is no ISO output for the speakers being used. There is an ISO socket on the back of the radio in the middle but I bet there was no plug in it.

The BOSE is an amplified system that uses line level signals to the amplifier rather than low impedance direct to the speakers.

The Yellow plug is just the Ariel for the radio.

The red block if it came of the vertical is just the connector for the phone and that would leave the last one being the power ETC.

I think you connector you will need will be more like the SOT-1002 but I would check with who ever you are getting the cable from and it also depends on if you want to get phone in there as well.

Hope that helps

A

Correct there was nothing in the middle plugged into the stereo.

So does the car have two ariels? as there is the normal black connector one in there too.

Isn't that cable for a Parot handsfree kit? I probably wasn't clear, I won't be using the inbuilt Bluetooth in the new setup as the new stereo will come with BT already.

Last edited:
What aftermarket stereo are you getting?

As advised you have the ISO connections.
For your wiring connections I would advise to get the connects2 cables, the best place I have seen is from dynamic sounds
they also do a complete fitting kit including a fascia , radio adapters and wiring kits for a decent price (£70)
If you need fitting or assistance on the job let me know as I fit these systems alot on the a3s

I am looking to get one of the Kenwood navigation all in one units, like the DNX5260BT.
Any help and assistance would be welcome.

Hi guys, first I do apologise about re-opening a thread that is a few years old, but I have had this problem for around two years and have not been able to resolve it.

Moreover I realise this will be long winded, but I hope someone can shed some light on this most frustrating of issue

I have read through this thread and still cannot solve my problem, so let me try and explain.

I have a 2002 S3 8L which had concert II radio system in it. I had always wanted to get hold of a RNSD nav unit, and when the opportunity arose, I did so. and managed to get the rare A3/S3 unit. here is the thread of fitting - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...stalled-in-a-2002-audi-s3.181258/#post1797199

NOW MY ISSUE
Ever since the installation I lost all radio signal...and to me, this was very important.

The leads on the back of my Concert II system look identical to Goonas first picture but I have uploaded a few picture below anyway.

IMG 0668

Now only two out of the three leads that were in the concert II system fit into the RNSD unit, (the two black ones) and the first issue was: it has not button lights, as the power feed for this was from the third red plug (apparently), and unfortunately this plug does not fit in. I took a power feed off something else and managed to insert into correct plug, and lights are now on....BUT STILL NO RADIO (obviously I am plugging the two aerial leads in as well)

This is the back of my RNSD Unit:
IMG 0669

I have spoken to many different people, some saying the unit itself is broken, others saying it could even be the rear heater elements on the rear windscreen being broken. So I checked those and no cracks or splits....and I have the FM booster attached to the windscreen which is normal for the audi A3 range.

Trying to eliminate different things, I made a make shift aerial and tried it, and got a few radio stations, but nothing solid and lost it again when the car started to move.

Jumping forward to yesterday, I had a couple of friends who are electrically minded, come over and see if they could shed some light on whats going on. immediately it was clear that I did not have the normal wiring loom plugs that would make this unit work properly, and that a the top plug on the unit is the one that should be empty, NOT the middle one. This was backed up by the fact that he came in a 2001 MK4 Golf, and we decided to try the unit in his car (this would allow me to see if the unit itself was working), and onced fired up, it worked perfectly on all radio stations tried.

Now the difference with his car was that he did not have the larger black plug, he just had one red and two of the smaller black plugs. So the bottom and the middle sockets on the unit were filled, leaving the top empty, and this is what worked. on mine is was different, the middle was empty, and the top and bottom are filled.....

So now my question: Does anyone know of a wiring harness/loom/ ISO connector that would reduce the larger of my black plugs into the same size as the middle female socket on my rnsd unit?

Or if im barking up the wrong tree there, does anyone know of the correct ISO to use, so that I can have the radio working....as I believe that because the plug leaves the middle socket out...this is why it does not work...could be to do with the aerial needing a power feed as well, and this would all come from having it in the middle plug, not top and bottom

being a novice in this area, just typing things into Google, it I have stumbled across a few things:

PC9-410 - http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-aud...pc9-404-pc9-410-audi-iso-lead-harness-adaptor

SOT-1002

pc9 406

cx-311 - http://www.navlinkz.de/en/Interface...udi/CAN-bus/Loom-for-CX-311-BP-Audi-oxid.html

Have also tried this: http://88.150.164.31/browseManufacturer.aspx

Here are some pictures of the back of the concert II system and then the concert on top of the RNSD so you can compare sockets:

IMG 0670

IMG 0673

Again apologies about writing an essay but im I wasn't really to sure on how to get my problem across

Many thanks in advance

Anton

Last edited: