engine lacking power

gedi

Reaction score
Im having problem with my 98 1.8se non turbo engine . Its lacking power on low revs for example pulling from a stand still there is no power at all till it hits about 3k rpm but after that its plenty of power and usually that happens when engine is warm. There was a thread about this earlier but they guy didnt find the problem even after changing MAF and water temp sensor. what else could be coil pack? I changed spark plugs and leads already. Thanx for any help.

Someone brought this up recently, it was something to do with a flap in the inlet manifold that had broken?

Someone brought this up recently, it was something to do with a flap in the inlet manifold that had broken?

^^^^this. i take it this is an "adr" engine? the inlet manifold has variable intake manifold flaps to help the engines torque at lower rpm.
look at the inlet manifold. nearest the front of the car. you'll see some vac pipes and a soleniod. also a little plastic box thats part of the manifold. the front of this box pops off so you can see the actuator rod. bet its come detatched.

yeah its ADR engine. i checked the rod its not broken its not sticking or any other visual defects. I got scanned for faults nothing came up?! A bit lost.

Get someone to start it while watching the actuator! should move on start up! or by revving it!

I did that by removing the cover and reved at the throtle body works fine. and i heard the engine misfiring this morning on low revs and there was like a few small bangs in exhaust manifold if the timing was wrong.

maybe its nothing to do with the flaps then? it would be nice to remove the inlet and check the internal parts of the flaps tho.

without seeing the car, i dunno.

what does it mean if actuator does not move on start up or revving? as mine doesnt, the arm looks intact though