Engine rattle on startup

ap

Reaction score
Sorry in advance I know this has been covered considerable number of times, my car has the rattle on start up for 1-2 seconds and then is fine. I would think that it is the hydraulic lifters, I had my oil pump and pickup filter changed last year.
I have found that if I turn the car over once or twice without letting the car start so that the system is pressurised then start the car there is no rattle.
what are your guys opinions?
cheers
Andy

Cam chain tensioner... fairly typical on higher mileage engines...

<tuffty/>

Cheers Tuffty

1. Sorry your answer posses a few more questions, is it something that can be ignored and just turn the radio up?
2. Is it a big expensive repair job? Any idea of the costs?
3. Is there a "how to" replace a cam chain tensioner guide anywhere?

Cheers
andy p

Depends tbh... most 20v's I have seen do this to a varying extent (inculding my own)... if the tensioner was to fail you would be getting set point not reached style fault codes and a CEL...

The job itself is not a particularly difficult one... you essentially remove the cam/rocker cover to get to the cams, remove the inlet cam and you can then remove/replace the tensioner...

How expensive it will be depends on if you have VVT or not... non VVT tensioners are around £100 while VVT ones are nearer £400... you can't just change to a non VVT either..

There are a few guides kicking around the web (vwvortex I would imagine)... you would need a tensioner compressor tool (inexpensive bit of kit) and a new gasket kit (metal gasket + 1/2 moon seal)... worth changing the cam/rocker cover gaskets too as they go hard over time and this is where most of the oil leaks seen on 20v's stem from..

<tuffty/>

Couldn't say for sure as never actually seen a failed one as yet...

Mine still does it if I have left the car a couple of days...

<tuffty/>

Mine taps sometimes on startup, has done for ages. I'll get concerned when it starts to tap on throttle!