Thinking about an A4 Avant any tips?

Gwilspeed

Reaction score
Hi Just joined because this looks like the best place to get a spot of info about an A4 avant!I'm looking at buying one as my other car has just been writen off! Needs to be Diesel. I've got about 5-6K to spend and after a quick look on the old autotrader i think i'll be able to get something.Anythoughts on difference between S-line and sports?First question anything nasties i should be keeping an eye out for? And whats to high mileage? seen some which are in budget and are newer but have around 140K on, I do around 18k a year.Whats the better to have an older B6 or a newer B7 but with more millage?I'll thank you all in advance for any help and tips!

:racer:

The B7 diesels have a fair few issues and unless you can absorb the odd big bill (circa £1000+) during the ownership of the car I would probably say don't bother. Crazy to say this regarding Audi and diesel but it is the way of things these days.

With your budget you are likely looking at 2005 cars which have an increased chance of breaking due to the oil pump - its in the sticky at the top.

You could look for a 1.9TDI B7 if you were insistent on getting one. The 1.9TDI is particularly reliable.

If you are doing 18K a year and looking at 140K cars then to be frank the good times have gone and the car is going to start throwing up niggly bills that will likely wipe out any saving buying diesel over petrol. You'll only have the car 3 years and it will be pushing 200K and personally I don't think modern audis wear their miles well.

I would look elsewhere. Ford, Vauxhall or something Japanese. Lower miles for the budget and hopefully cheaper running costs.

My A4 Avant has over 140k and no probs in the 2 and a bit years I've owned it. Had a full dealer history when I bought it, ex fleet with 1 owner (bought direct). There are a few out there but if I was in your shoes I'd save another grand and look at one with 90-100k miles if your covering 18k miles per year. Running costs are low for me since I went from performance petrol cars like S3,RS6,+R32.

The B7 diesels have a fair few issues and unless you can absorb the odd big bill (circa £1000+) during the ownership of the car I would probably say don't bother. Crazy to say this regarding Audi and diesel but it is the way of things these days.

With your budget you are likely looking at 2005 cars which have an increased chance of breaking due to the oil pump - its in the sticky at the top.

You could look for a 1.9TDI B7 if you were insistent on getting one. The 1.9TDI is particularly reliable.

If you are doing 18K a year and looking at 140K cars then to be frank the good times have gone and the car is going to start throwing up niggly bills that will likely wipe out any saving buying diesel over petrol. You'll only have the car 3 years and it will be pushing 200K and personally I don't think modern audis wear their miles well.

I would look elsewhere. Ford, Vauxhall or something Japanese. Lower miles for the budget and hopefully cheaper running costs.

Eddscotts advise is sound and solid, keep away from Modern Audi diesels unless you can get a 1.9tdi for your money.Anybody thinking anything else is putting their head in the sand and ignoring the long term ownership costs of a modern Audi Diesel for the private individual. I am saying this after twenty years of driving Audis, I love the cars and the brand but NO MORE, they are now just trading on the reputation forged in the 80's, they are today just a good looking car with nothing substantial in their favour underneath. A bit like a few women I know......................

I think the main problem is that with Audi being part of the VAG group, the average joe marques (Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda) have all plateued when it comes to quality. Taking my wifes Leon apart this afternoon theres no difference to VW and Audi yet the A3 costs ££££ over the Leon yet its all but the same.

I think this is why BM still have that edge in quality. They don't have the cheapen one marque to improve/reduce costs on another. Merc don't have to either but then Merc is keeping its head down in the German "pseudo sport" war between Audi and BM.

I have a 2.0TDI Audi Diesel and its just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. - What I would say though is the 2.0TDI is far better to actually drive than the 1.9.

dont even get me going on mercs....... absolute ****e through and through. bm totaly lost there edge when they finished the e46 shape 3 series in my eyes.

i love my audi to drive buy i have to be honest over the last couple of months its had some fair money put its way, but its just at the milage where some of the big jobs are due. cam belt + water pump, clutch and flywheel.

as a looker i think the audis take some beating these days, i mean take a look at a bmw 3 series touring....... how boring???

as a looker i think the audis take some beating these days, i mean take a look at a bmw 3 series touring....... how boring???

I have a B7 A4 avant s-line as I like the overall look but was thinking of changing to the 3 series tourer, as I think the look very smart. The B8 avant is nice but s-line costs are outwith my budget at the moment.

its only my view fella but bm,s aere just so bland now, and our family have all been long time bm owners. they just dont excite me to look at any more, every model just merges into the next??