99 Audi 1.8t Quattro Gearbox Question

sprushty

TQS Collective
Reaction score
This may have already been answered on this site so forgive me if this is a repeat question, I have tried searching but havent found a definitive answer and I am a newbie so please be gentle.

I have bought a 99 audi 1.8t quattro, the gear change from 1st to 2nd is very tough, there is resistance the faster I try to shift. Shifting in a relaxed manner is still notchy but shifting under hard acceleration feels like it will break something. The other gears are okay, not completely smooth but okay, reverse is fine. Is there a simple cure for this like resetting the gear linkage like in this youtube video: Volkswagen Group Shift Linkage Adjustment for year models 2000-2010 - YouTube

The video describes adjustment for 2000 onwards, is there anything like this for the earliers 5 speed models? Or is there anything else that would sort this bar a new gearbox :|

I know that some people have changed the dog mount bush and this has helped, it may be needed as when i turn the car off i can see with the bonnet up and even feel that the engine rocks quite a bit before it comes to a stop. It has done 114k so things will need changing, any advice on where to start?

Welcome to ASN. Enjoy the forum :)

Welcome to ASN. Enjoy the forum :)

Poor bloke, he only wanted to know about his gearbox issues.. :moa:

bump, anyone?

Not sure if there is anything like that for the 5 speed model, but I would recommend the red dogbone bush as a cheap way of improving your problem slightly. It wouldn't be ridiculous to say that the box itself might be on the way out with that mileage, but the dogbone won't do any harm.

Rocking of the engine could mean that your engine mounts are also worn..

Cable setting is identical to the way shown in the video for your car though you may find the locking pin on the gearbox is more like the one shown on the 6 speed box even though it's a 5 speed if you get what i mean.... i did mine when i made it a shorter shifter ..... can't see it making much difference though to be honest but it's certainly worth a try, i'm more inclined to think the synchro mesh is starting to get a bit worn

This may have already been answered on this site so forgive me if this is a repeat question, I have tried searching but havent found a definitive answer and I am a newbie so please be gentle.

I have bought a 99 audi 1.8t quattro, the gear change from 1st to 2nd is very tough, there is resistance the faster I try to shift. Shifting in a relaxed manner is still notchy but shifting under hard acceleration feels like it will break something. The other gears are okay, not completely smooth but okay, reverse is fine. Is there a simple cure for this like resetting the gear linkage like in this youtube video: Volkswagen Group Shift Linkage Adjustment for year models 2000-2010 - YouTube

The video describes adjustment for 2000 onwards, is there anything like this for the earliers 5 speed models? Or is there anything else that would sort this bar a new gearbox :|

I know that some people have changed the dog mount bush and this has helped, it may be needed as when i turn the car off i can see with the bonnet up and even feel that the engine rocks quite a bit before it comes to a stop. It has done 114k so things will need changing, any advice on where to start?
I might be missing the plot but, what car do you have ? there is a a4 1.8 t quattro which uses completely different shifter mechanism compared with the golf platform...

It's an A3, I hope the gear box isnt on the way out :( How much would you expect to pay to fix the synchro mesh or have a replacement box fitted?

This seems to be something VW/Audi/Seat all seem to suffer with! I've driven loads n loads that do this including my, once warmed up it should settle down. I wouldn't worry bout it till it stops working. I had a mk4 polo that crunched from 1st to 2nd from 78 thou upto 124thou. Then I sold it to buy a 4x4 and I still see it on the road today.

I probably should have mentioned, theres no audible crunch noise at all and its pretty much the same warmed up or cold

Could try an oil change. maybe some slick 50 in there could help. that did smooth my mk4 gearbox. Failing that get some quotes to have the box referb'd.

Last edited:
Hello all, haven't fixed this issue yet but having spoken to a few people theres a few things that I may try soon. The car lurches forward when the clutch is pressed and is put into 1st gear quickly, if I press the clutch and wait 2-3 second it slots in smoothly. Its the same for any gear including reverse, it will lurch backwards slightly. First suggestion was to bleed the clutch, second was to replace the slave cylider, as its a 1.8tq the slave cylinder is supposed to be on the outside of the gearbox and easier to do. Third was to change the master cylinder if the first two didnt work. Fourth suggestion which needs to be done anyway is to replace the dog bone mount bush with the red polyflex option, theres alot of rocking from the engine on accelerating/ under load/ gear changes and it makes the drive very uncomfortable as gear changes are jerky and the car lurches alot. The engine rocks a lot when turning the car off too. would I just need to do the dogbone bush or all the engine mounts, how much of a job would the engine mounts be as the dogbone is quite easy from what I've read/seen.