Possible Gear Linkage Problem?

dcoulter19

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently replaced the selector housing for my A3 1.8, the housing had shattered at each bolt causing the selector tower to drop down while i was driving.

Since changing the housing over and putting enverything back together i have lost the following gears: Reverse, 1st and 2nd

I take it i need to adjust my gear linkage? The cables had to be taken off in order to fit them through the new housing.

Does anyone have a link on how to do this? I have a rough idea of what is needed but would be handy to have a guide that i can reference to.

Cheers in advance!

Have a look on YouTube for VW gear linkage reset. Very easy to do and only takes 5 mins but would be easier for you to watch than me describe

Have a look on YouTube for VW gear linkage reset. Very easy to do and only takes 5 mins but would be easier for you to watch than me describe

Ive just had a look at that mate, cant see the hole they use to line it up inside the car though

there doesnt seem to be anything on my selector that can be used to set it at the neutral position

Im trying to use this but i dont have the same setup as the one in the video. The cables are attatched to a plate and do not move?

My selector tower and linkage look more similar to a mk3 golf platform? The car is 1997