Revs limited when in first gear, with clutch down.

Gavinpipe

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope everyone is enjoying the epic weather lol.

As my title says, when I'm at the lights sat in first with my foot on the clutch, my a3 only revs to a certain rpm, the revs freely once clutch is out through all gears?

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Gav

if your A3 is a newer one than its standard mate nothing to worry about they are limited to around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm

Hi yeah this is normal, as i can only rev to 4,000 rpm without engaging gears...:)

I always thought it was that too. I'm going with launch control.

-foot to floor........wait for revs to stop steady at 3k or 4k or whatever it is then.....let go of clutch... your off. use to do it in my 170 tdi. quite good actually! although first gear doesn't last very long at all! so you have to snatch 2nd pretty quickly.

It's not launch control, it's actually a built in safety mechanism to protect the car (most cars come with it these days).
Launch control is only available on certain models and to engage it you have to follow a procedure ie on dsg models you engage sports mode, then press and hold esp whilst your foot is hard on the brake and then launch control should activate (not sure what the procedure is on manual cars).

So could it be launch control? Does it come on a manual, I thought it was only DSG?

to be honest. a transit van has this feature these days. so it would suggest safety.

However, It could be doubled up as "launch control" :) always worked for me.

if you turn esp off you can rev a lot further i found this on my a3 its a 2009 140 tdi.