Intake snorkel deformed by EGR? Pics inside

Sidhu88

Reaction score
Was having a nose around under the bonnet today to look for any obvious signs of another problem im having and i noticed the air snorkel for the intake was majorly deformed. It looks like its been caused by heat from the EGR pipe. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Should the EGR be getting that hot? and is it worth replacing just for it to happen again, any alternative options?

Also knowing what i do about intake and flow characteristics this can't be doing the intake system any favours so it's not something i wana leave be. But its pointless replacing it if the same problems are gonna reoccur.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

The upper indent is much smaller than the lower one. Surprised there isn't a hole anywhere. If the heats that bad surely it can't be doing the intake temps any favours neither?

Should also add that its a 2.0 TDI PD170 8P2, but this would also affect PD140s cos they're almost identical

I have a 56 plate 170 diesel and mines exactly the same.
Not sure if it's part of the design or heat deformation?!?

I highly doubt it'd be part of the design, thats essentially reducing and disturbing the air flow in the system. Less air getting in the less power the car has

You need a bit more patients mate, people have lives aswell, give others with same car or advice time to login & read, this can take a day or several.

That dent wouldnt make any difference imho to the intake, I also record mine being like that, its probably slightly indented to avoid touching something or other, I'll see if I can dig out my old intake tomorrow & check, but I wouldnt worry to much.

You need a bit more patients mate, people have lives aswell, give others with same car or advice time to login & read, this can take a day or several.

That dent wouldnt make any difference imho to the intake, I also record mine being like that, its probably slightly indented to avoid touching something or other, I'll see if I can dig out my old intake tomorrow & check, but I wouldnt worry to much.

the "anyone" was a secret BTT but shh. I did a final year project for Formula Student, designed and built an exhaust system for a race car and helped out alot with the intake system too. Using computational fluid dynamics i've seen just how much something like that could alter the intake flow. I know the cars not restricted but we were running the intake through a 20mm restrictor, something like that is vital HP lost. On a forced induction system i could see that having an effect, maybe not massive, but still an effect.

Mines the same mate and the filtered air pipe as it heads down towards the floor on the drivers side near the bulk head has an indent in too............

Doubtful it would affect at all, if you look at the overall design, its imho flawed, as soon as its is forced into the grill holes, it hits a wall as such which has 90 degrees right angle, then into a bent pipe with a smoothed of dent in the plastic which if it was a flat edge would maybe cause the most minimal disruption in intake, but lets be honest its not a gtr where the flow needs to be perfect, is it now lol.

I fitted a bmc cda to our tdi for number of reasons, but not to gain anything tbh, if it has then bonus.

Doubtful it would affect at all, if you look at the overall design, its imho flawed, as soon as its is forced into the grill holes, it hits a wall as such which has 90 degrees right angle, then into a bent pipe with a smoothed of dent in the plastic which if it was a flat edge would maybe cause the most minimal disruption in intake, but lets be honest its not a gtr where the flow needs to be perfect, is it now lol.

I fitted a bmc cda to our tdi for number of reasons, but not to gain anything tbh, if it has then bonus.

turns me on when Nigel talks mechanics :sex:
so beautifully explained:friends:

lmfao, not exactly the most graceful is it lol, but makes the point, I think :)

I think Maclaren are head hunting me...........................................as a janitor

had a look at my mates golf pd140, hes got the same thing but not as bad, its definately the EGR pipe.

I highly doubt it'd be part of the design, thats essentially reducing and disturbing the air flow in the system. Less air getting in the less power the car has

Ahh so it was the design...

Ah hold on, are you referring to the lower part of the pipe that I now see as a darker area, didnt see this before tbh as your pics seemed more focused on the upper part of the intake pipe with the indent.

Ah hold on, are you referring to the lower part of the pipe that I now see as a darker area, didnt see this before tbh as your pics seemed more focused on the upper part of the intake pipe with the indent.

Yup, it was hard to get the camera at the right angle for it. Theres a much deeper indent there.

Urmmmmm got me thinking now, had them of many times & I really cant recall if mine had the lower indent or not, not near our A3's atm so cant check, I will however make a mental note next time near them.